Watch strap made from upcycled wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At present, I am using a Tag Heuer dive watch with SS bracelet, but for decades, I have used watches with high quality nylon straps and SS buckles. Nylon watch bands are not water proof or water resistant. They get wet, you can wash them, but dry quickly and do not rot. I have also used rubber straps, but they did not hold up well for me over time, and did not find them as comfortable as the nylon straps.

Again helpful to know. Always good to have a reliable watch strap, especially with a nice Swiss watch! Also with the quick release straps you can allow your nylon strap to dry in the sun whilst in between dives :) perfect !

Again helpful to know. Always good to have a reliable watch strap, especially with a nice Swiss watch! Also with the quick release straps you can allow your nylon strap to dry in the sun whilst in between dives :) perfect !

You don't have to remove the strap and put it in the sun to dry. It will easily dry on your wrist with the watch attached, avoiding losing the strap or watch. Buy a high quality nylon strap/w a SS buckle and SS or nylon strap retainers, and be done with it. You will not regret that decision. If you ever decide to buy an upscale (expensive) dive watch that comes with a SS bracelet, a nylon strap might not work because of the configuration, but you can buy insurance to ease the pain of loss should it occur.

I am a big believer in recycling and minimizing impact on the environment but I had no idea the number was this big. At 15lbs each, this would mean over 50,000 wetsuits a year are trashed. For the record, I have 5 that were purchased used - thus saving from the landfill.

approx. 380 tonnes of wetsuit waste is dumped every year

Or is this referring to another kind of wetsuit waste "dumping"? :eek:

I am a big believer in recycling and minimizing impact on the environment but I had no idea the number was this big. At 15lbs each, this would mean over 50,000 wetsuits a year are trashed. For the record, I have 5 that were purchased used - thus saving from the landfill.

Or is this referring to another kind of wetsuit waste "dumping"? :eek:

It’s a scary number and only getting worse! Defs more we can do / raise awareness

Hey guys! I wanted to share with you our new watch straps made from upcycled wetsuits. Over the past 6-months I've been travelling around the UK gathering wetsuits from dive shops and the response rate has been overwhelming! Scarily, there are so many wetsuits which simply get dumped when they come to the end of their life so really pleased to be playing a small part in reducing this problem. Thoughts and feedback welcomed on the new straps! :) P.s. we launch on Sunday 29th August 2021 - 12:00 (noon) GMT.
sdc2_laurencehowephoto_small-9.jpg

The strap of my Citizen Aqualand broke in the middle of a dive. Fortunately, one of my instructors told me to use a single cord to tie the strap buckle to my wrist and I did not lose the watch.
I tried to get a new strap, but none was available locally, so I designed and printed a new strap with flex filament.
Though the design is not as fashion as the original one, it works great.
IMG_6913.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG

Hello fellow divers! Thought I’d share some cool photos of our new OceanRider Collection watches. We officially launched in December and we’re giving a 10% discount for all scuba divers 🤿. Also, 5% of every sale goes to the Marine Conservation Society, helping to protect our oceans. Link to website below and feel free to contact us with any questions. www.sdcwatches.com

D367E955-65E1-4C00-A156-4DEFEA94A5D2.jpeg

25219574-9BD3-4148-83D9-D2B96397E31D.jpeg

511546C6-A78E-41D6-A69D-42DDD10D2C94.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom