Watch strap made from upcycled wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean Clements

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to get some divers' opinions on the best straps for dive watches?

I’m currently working on an exciting project to design a watch strap made from upcycled wetsuit materials (effectively recycling my old wetsuit to make a watch strap) and wanted to see if anyone had any tips or recommendations for this? Not sure if this has been done before but personally think it’s a really cool idea (and great for the environment of course!).

When diving, what types of watch straps do people prefer? - rubber, steel? I know these things are usually personal preference (as with most diving stuff) but keen to get peoples thoughts on this!?

Thanks!

Sean

Without knowing the first thing about upcycling neoprene, I love the idea! Might be worth brainstorming other purposes, though, because at least in my circles, bungees are the preferred attachment type for all things watches, computers, slates, etc... Is this upcycled material elastomeric? How much does it stretch? Resists tearing?

One last thought: my LDS has a little thing sitting on the checkout counter that sells ridiculously priced plastic bracelets - the plastic has been recovered from the ocean and by purchasing one you are supporting efforts to keep our oceans clean, or some such. Might be worth designing some similar jewelry/cosmetic items and maximizing your "recycle, save the earth" angle.

Glad you love the idea! :)

Agreed bungees are the most practical, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a dive watch/ strap which you'd want to wear in and out of the water - so something that looks great and is practical!

Without getting too technical, neoprene comes in many forms, but yes its typically lightweight, stretchy and durable but not exactly 'pleasing on the eye' which is why I was thinking about using something like FKM rubber (Fluoro-Elastomers - most eco-friendly) as a base and then layering neoprene on top - or somehow incorporate them both! I think if I can create a design which looks and feels great whilst encompassing the upcycled wetsuits then I'm really on to something.

And really like the concept of upcycling plastics or any textile to that matter to support the efforts to keep our oceans clean! Thats my mantra!

So here's a not so fun fact - approx. 380 tonnes of wetsuit waste is dumped every year...scary right!?

Hello!

When diving, what types of watch straps do people prefer? - rubber, steel? I know these things are usually personal preference (as with most diving stuff) but keen to get peoples thoughts on this!?

Thanks!

Sean

I typically use an assortment of stainless steel, silicone, and, especially NATO (aka "G10s" -- nylon straps, which actually has dick to do with NATO) seen below, which are about the most secure bands that exist; it "pockets" a watch; and ensures that it cannot come loose.

The choice also depends upon the thickness of a given suit; and whether the watch and bracelet will remain covered; or, will accommodate, being worn, outside, say, a 7 mm suit, on the wrist . . .

Attachments

• Black-PVD-NATO-Strap-by-Military-Watch-Co-Gear-Patrol.jpg
    Black-PVD-NATO-Strap-by-Military-Watch-Co-Gear-Patrol.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 69
I prefer SS or heavy duty nylon watch straps. From my experience with wetsuits, the neoprene can be too easily cut or damaged, and personally would not trust it to secure a watch I cared about.

Hello!

I’m currently working on an exciting project to design a watch strap made from upcycled wetsuit materials (effectively recycling my old wetsuit to make a watch strap) and wanted to see if anyone had any tips or recommendations for this? Not sure if this has been done before but personally think it’s a really cool idea (and great for the environment of course!).

Thanks!

Sean

Don't use the material from the crotch region.

I prefer SS or heavy duty nylon watch straps. From my experience with wetsuits, the neoprene can be too easily cut or damaged, and personally would not trust it to secure a watch I cared about.

Thanks! That's really interesting. I always thought rubber would be a better vs. nylon when it comes to watch straps (more durable, better feel on the skin etc.). Do you dive with a nylon strap? How waterproof (or water resistant) are they? I guess the best watches have the quick release straps so you can easily remove them and let them dry off in the sun !

At present, I am using a Tag Heuer dive watch with SS bracelet, but for decades, I have used watches with high quality nylon straps and SS buckles. Nylon watch bands are not water proof or water resistant. They get wet, you can wash them, but dry quickly and do not rot. I have also used rubber straps, but they did not hold up well for me over time, and did not find them as comfortable as the nylon straps.

I’ve had a few pins fail and the watch (Citizen dive watch) fall 3’ and hit the ground when on a rubber strap. My two cents...a nato/zulu in the heavy canvas/seatbelt material > *.

There’s no way the strap is going to fail with normal use and if a pin fails...your watch will still be dangling from the strap...rather than hitting the deck.

I’ve had a few pins fail and the watch (Citizen dive watch) fall 3’ and hit the ground when on a rubber strap. My two cents...a nato/zulu in the heavy canvas/seatbelt material > *.

There’s no way the strap is going to fail with normal use and if a pin fails...your watch will still be dangling from the strap...rather than hitting the deck.
Thanks - that’s good to know. Seems like people are favouring nylon vs Rubber straps. The benefit of Nylon (especially NATO / Zuludiver) is they look great and are very practical!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom