Was Sheck Exley the first to introduce the "octopus?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to overstate the influence of Dave Woodward on the formation of modern scuba diving.

Dave Woodward - History of SCUBA Diving

Around 1966, when at UNEXSO, Dave coined the term "octopus" for the alternate 2nd stage when used as a redundant for the primary stage; with many references to the use of the word "octopus" in this case from second-hand accounts and at least one first-hand account in an interview by Dave (linked above).

Sure, it would be interesting to hear more.

Hello Fellow Cave Divers,
I hope that you don't blow me off for restoring this old post, but I might have answers. It always seems that us old guys have those answers because we were there. I can possibly add some light to this conversation if you want me to go on. I was trained in Cave Diving by the great Tom Mount, who, at that time wrote the book on Cave Diving (Safe Cave Diving) . This was back around 1972 or so, and I was 20 years old. Tom, I believe was the first Cave Diving instructor, and my certification number is #00027, His first or second class...never thought to ask him. Dave Desautels was the NACD president at the time, and Tom introduced me to Sheck while on my certification dive series in North Florida. Sheck was a seriously energetic Cave Diving Maniac at that time, as Tom confirmed. No Doubt a true pioneer. If you want to know more, I'll try to recollect...otherwise I'll let it go. I do have some interesting things to offer, though. As for Sheck inventing the Octopus? I think not. We had better concepts back then. Please respond if you want some history.

Best Regards,
John

In Caverns Measureless to Man Sheck says he was "one of the first" but admits there could have been others. He says that he "thinks" he was the first to introduce it to cave diving but again follows up with, "to my knowledge." I am a youngin I didn't start diving until 2000, so I have no first hand knowledge, but that's what the resources tell me. I thought it was hilarious that Sheck's first BCD was a Clorox bleach bottle he would bleed air into to keep him off the cave floor, ingenuity right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom