Bolting to the surface...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There seems to be two very distinct philosophies of diving here, one routed in self-reliance and independence the other in team work and cooperation. Personally i think the best philosophy to have and teach in diving, or any sport for that matter, would be a mindset that met right in the middle, someone who was self-reliant, confident in their ability to handle problems individually, but also recognize the advantages that Bob mentions of having a buddy, an extra set of eyes and two brains to help deal with sh1t storms when they arise. I dont understand why the two philosophies have to be mutually exclusive.

Absolutely what I meant to say by saying that I understand John Chatterton's article... Originally I thought he promoted diving solo exclusively but as he explained here, there is nothing wrong about being self reliant while diving with a buddy. In my case, I think my buddy relied on me for gas management and extra air and when the problem surfaced I proved to be "inadequate" and could have cost him his life if we were just a little deeper...

Back
Top Bottom