Was I overcharged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For comparison I sent my son's regulator setup out for service (not Sherwood though). Scubapro Mk10, D350, and 3/4th gen Air2.

$35 per stage for service
$28-43 per parts kit
$35 for a new Yoke retainer
$8 for a mouthpiece

So all in, was about $245 before shipping

Could I have done it myself - the Mk10, definitely (have done a few of my personal ones this week).... The D350, no, not at this point (though I wish I was proficient in adjusting one - seems a little stiff - hopefully it will break in), and same with the Air2 (too many special tools between the 4 generations of Air2s that I have)...

I wish I was proficient in adjusting one - seems a little stiff
Take a pin wrench and unscrew the top cap. Use a small screwdriver to unscrew the adjustment disc in the center of the hole 1/24 turn (2.5 minutes on a clock). Put the cap back on and test on a tank, with the sink test of cracking effort Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)
Repeat until your stiffness is gone and cracking effort is 1".

Thank you. My 13yr old son is taking it for a dive tomorrow... I am going to let him do a little initial break in/enjoy , and then I will pop that off to investigate ... Thank you for the Cliff Note version on how to tune it - much appreciated.. The tag says it is at a cracking effort of 1.1, but it seems stiffer than my other regs (and stiffer than when it went out for service).

You can take some D's down to 0.6" before they freeflow, so have at it! That coaxial diaphragm/exhaust valve is one of the few reg designs that can be tuned that low. It's exquisite!

A friend of mine gave me a regulator setup that he had laying around for 8 or 10 years. I dropped it off at my LDS a couple months ago to get serviced. I just got it back and the cost was $221. He said that the 1st stage needed a new piston (the old one was in the bag).
On the receipt I see that I was charged $75 for labor, $25 for service kit, $7 for a hose protector, $50 for "parts", $15 for scuba supplies, and $50 for a rubber HP hose.

There is a new mouthpiece on the 2nd stage. I believe the 2nd stage is a Sherwood Brut but I do not know what the 1st stage is. I will attach a picture below.

It just bothers me that I could have bought a quality second hand regulator for this price.

You could have spent that much $ on a newer reg, but with unknown history/condition vs refurbing the basic/low end reg like you did but at least you're out the door with an apparently sufficiently functional unit either way. The bottom line is, if it performs sufficiently well for your needs, and has been overhauled/refreshed in a quality way, you're coming out just fine @ $ 221.00 out-the-door.

Take a pin wrench and unscrew the top cap. Use a small screwdriver to unscrew the adjustment disc in the center of the hole 1/24 turn (2.5 minutes on a clock). Put the disc back on and test on a tank, with the sink test of cracking effort Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)
Repeat until your stiffness is gone and cracking effort is 1".

OK.. My son took it for a successful dive yesterday... So today I went ahead and cleaned the sink, filled her with water, and adjusted this unit, as well as a 109 and G250 that I had just rebuilt.

Below was the starting point.. At this point the unit could be mouthpiece up, and submerged to past the tie-wrap on the mouth piece.
scubapro_D350_StartingPoint.jpg

I went ahead and tried the 1/24th turn, with little effect. I continued this 4-5 times, and finally for grins, just went what appears to be 110-120 degrees from start, which I figured was enough for now. At present the unit begins to free-flow when the S is exposed, and has better breathing effort.

scubapro_D350_counterclockwise_PostAdjustment.jpg

scubapro_D350_watertest_belowtheS.jpg

Will try that on his next dive, unless y'all think it is too far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom