Was I Narked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without question, narcosis was a factor. Hyperbaric researchers at DCIEM over the years, have told me that it's impossible for anyone to be at 100' breathing air without any affect. Even at this depth it will measurably reduce reaction time and problem solving ability (even though performance may drop only marginally). Because we don't feel affected doesn't mean that we aren't affected. It affects different people at different depths at different times, differently. Experience has proven to be a mitigating factor.

Now whether narcosis was the cause for your behavior, no one can say. Certainly the first-time I went to 100' the narcosis affect was noticeable to me. The fact that you ascended 5 or 10' and the symptoms seemed to dissipate confirms that narcosis may have been the cause. The inability for you to clear your mask easily is typical of a narcosis hit.

FrogManMike:
You sir, should stop posting in this thread and go back to read your books

Without question, narcosis was a factor. Hyperbaric researchers at DCIEM over the years, have told me that it's impossible for anyone to be at 100' breathing air without any affect. Even at this depth it will measurably reduce reaction time and problem solving ability (even though performance may drop only marginally). Because we don't feel affected doesn't mean that we aren't affected. It affects different people at different depths at different times, differently. Experience has proven to be a mitigating factor.

Now whether narcosis was the cause for your behavior, no one can say. Certainly the first-time I went to 100' the narcosis affect was noticeable to me. The fact that you ascended 5 or 10' and the symptoms seemed to dissipate confirms that narcosis may have been the cause. The inability for you to clear your mask easily is typical of a narcosis hit.

On my first dive in any given series of dives I begin to recognize the effects of narcosis beginning at about 60-70'. subsequent dives not as much. I attribute it to the fact that I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 20 years and am therefore very sensitive to minor changes in acuity. In my previous life I probably wouldn't know the difference at 150 ft :shocked2:

I worry about those who tell me they have never been narced.

I worry about those who tell me they have never been narced.

Been: yes. Felt it during the dive: nope.

Even down at 134', I could still do math more complex than the narc test my deep instructor had us do. But I was completely locked on doing everything by the book and following procedure... a sign of narcosis(rigid thinking).

Never been noticably affected at all at any depth less than that, including a buddy dive to 100' where the vis droped to 3' below the thermocline, and I was the navigator. We ended up swimming with our arms hooked so we wouldn't lose eachother.

I don't drink much either, but I'm not a teetotaler.

The effects of Nitrogen Narcosis can be felt at depths of less than 100' no matter what Mr. Frog man says. What you felt MAY have been that. I do agree that it was more likely a panic attack however to rule out being "narc'ed" 100% is just wrong IMO.

Back
Top Bottom