Was April Fool's Prank funny?

Was SB April Fool's Prank 2007 funny?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that ‘at core’ the April Fool’s Prank was about diving way more than a lot of nattering that goes on here. It was also posted on Site Support to let THEM know! The prank stories/news that I saw were dive-related, just with a twist. I’d rather there be a silly thing like that than same ol’ insiders or camps fighting about issues.

And this is a poll(!), do not drag this into mud. There is already at least one fighting thread about the prank where dissing non-joky personalities begun before this poll was started. Two responses are obviously accepted in this poll (see above). Those who missed the joke being absent just have to go whine in Whine and Cheeze :D

NetDoc:
Now, don't expect to find discussions about diving here in site support or even in the NDR sections: that's why they are there!
There's an easy way to remove all non-desirable forums from the New Posts list. It can be found under Quick Links -> Edit Options. Feel free to PM me if you require any assitance.

Walter:
I agree. It's horrible when people are attacked for expressining an opinion.
Where is this attack? Probably the most inflammatory word used so far has been "infantile", and you were the one using it.

In all fairness, if ANY of these posts seems to cross the line into becoming an attack, PLEASE report them! We don't condone animosity from any person (including me) and we certainly want to address any "attacks" as they are clearly outside of the TOS.

However, one should never take a difference of opinion as a personal attack, no matter how contrary it is to your own personal convictions.

Mauifish:
Realy not trying to be the devils advocate here but have you "no-nonsense" guys considered starting your own website?

NetDoc:
The "Rule of NOK" is abhorred here on ScubaBoard. NOK=Not Our Kind and is indicative of INTOLERANCE. Quite the contrary, we are more inclusive than any other forum I know, diving or otherwise. That is by design.

These two concepts seem to be at odds.

NetDoc:
It's a shame that those who suggest that others should "lighten up" are accused of using the rule of NOK, while those who suggest that we are being childish, infantile, (insert your own denigrating word here) somehow feel they are being victimized. Apparently, an opinion about an opinion is not acceptable! To them, strong vitriol is OK ONLY if they are the ones using it!

Perhaps you missed the point, Pete. I've been saying I find the concept of April Fool's Day infantile and I don't participate. That's my choice. It's right for me. I've not attacked anyone for participating. I've also said it's never OK to hurt people. The fact they were hurt with a joke doesn't make it OK. Others tell me my choice is wrong. Others tell me to leave. I see a big difference. Am I missing something?

Walter:
Perhaps you missed the point, Pete. I've been saying I find the concept of April Fool's Day infantile and I don't participate. That's my choice. It's right for me. I've not attacked anyone for participating. I've also said it's never OK to hurt people. The fact they were hurt with a joke doesn't make it OK. Others tell me my choice is wrong. Others tell me to leave. I see a big difference. Am I missing something?

Was this not already covered in the thread it started in?

Not the last time I saw it, besides, this discussion is here, not there.

Walter:
Not the last time I saw it, besides, this discussion is here, not there.

I expressed my opinion about 'same fights' being dragged into every thread in post #41 but have ago at it.

Walter:
I've also said it's never OK to hurt people. The fact they were hurt with a joke doesn't make it OK. "snip" Am I missing something?
Yes. The fact is that this was a joke pulled on all of us. No one person was singled out. The fact that some chose to be offended is just that, their choice.
Coupled with the fact that it was pulled on a day KNOWN for pranks, I see it as harmless fun. No one was "hurt." No one was "maimed." No one "Lost an eye."
Have we become such a PC society that we can't even enjoy a day set aside to be infantile?

mania:
Not really. You can vote in the pool without having to write. And there was more votes than posts in this thread. Still it's the minority. Up to now 90 voted while there are only 39 posts.
And so the point is that if someone posts a poll, and you're not in agreement with the majority, you should not have the right to state your opinion ... or you should expect the majority to feel free to jump on you, call you names, and tell you to leave?

Very friendly ...

mania:
On a more serious note:

I disagree. Many of us liked it and was having fun. But it will never please everybody. They have the right to say so.
Perhaps they have the right to, but above you just suggested that they shouldn't do so. You also labeled those of us who disagreed as "whiners". Isn't name-calling against the ToS? So why is a member of the staff doing it? Doesn't that just encourage others to emulate the behavior?

Surely people should feel free to offer dissenting opinions. More and more, those opinions are not tolerated in a manner that I would call friendly. Someone earlier felt it OK to tell another poster that if they didn't like it, they should leave the board.

Very friendly.

Bottom line, to my concern, is if you're going to ask a question then you should be open to reasonable responses that don't agree with your own. Calling those who disagree with you names doesn't encourage honest discourse ... especially when it's coming from a staff member. You should know better.

Walter ... NOK = "Not Our Kind" ... ergo, people who don't go along with the majority mentality ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom