Warped View of the Dive World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First I want to make it perfectly clear; this thread is not intended to be about my view of the Dive World; I want to know your view of the Dive World. How would you describe the World of Diving from your perspective?

I have timed this thread to give the "Rest of the World" the first shot at responding.

I fully expect and welcome some harsh criticism of my personal views; please don't hold back, tell it like you see it. :kiss2:

Recently a prominent poster here on Scubaboard accused me of having a warped view of the Dive World. :idk:

My 2011 resolution is to explore that idea, hopefully starting with this thread. Actually, this is a Ground Hog Day resolution; both because I am a Bill Murray fan and because it is the anniversary of my first broken bone, when I was 3 years old, skiing at Cooper Hill Ski Area, Colorado. :coffee:

Unfortunately; now a short version of how I come to have the view I have of the Dive World.

I got PADI OW certified with my Kauai (Hawaii) free dive buddies in '92. One of our other house mates was certified and he really put the class together for us, so he could have some dive buddies. The first 5 dives after certification we; went to 90' looking for old scattered wreckage, made a couple cavern dives and did a night dive. Within a couple months I was back to mostly free diving.

A couple years later, after Hurricane Iniki blew me to Maui, I part time worked at a Ka'anapali resort beach activities booth. The dive instructors were pocketing $100 cash minimum every day, just for the intro photos! They got good tips from nearly every diver and the boss paid them by the head, so 4 intro's that all wanted pictures could make one dive worth $250! If only that was my warped view of diving now. :shakehead:

I got semi serious about my hobby of underwater photography, but thought free diving was the best way to get great pictures of the white tip reef sharks in our caverns. I sold some pictures and talked a good marine photographer story, but all through this period I was really just a night bartender who saw glassy morning conditions rarely and had a total of less than 20 logged scuba dives post certification.

Ten years ago, I threw the past away and went to Florida for 10 weeks of non stop scuba instruction and diving. Came away with an inch and a half tall stack of cards and nearly as good an instructor preparation as the $20,000 price tag should indicate.

Back in Hawaii; first an Oahu dive shop with a 6-pac dive boat and 12-pac inflatable whale watch / snorkel boat, next at a South Maui beach resort for the multi resort, island wide resort dive operator from years ago (above), then a 2 location resort dive / snorkel / kayak operator with a 6-pac Molokini dive boat, followed by a short winter with the dive operator at the biggest Maui resort and finally a West Maui operator with a 13-pac dive boat that goes to Lanai and also does day and night shore dives.

All I really know is 10 years of USA's most popular warm water dive worlds, and my Key Largo dive world experience is a decade old. But I flip through most of the dive magazines, watch nearly everything dive on the TV and at the movies, and spend way too much time cyber diving. :D

I promise you; that was way more tedious and boring for me to compose than for you to read, but I apologize anyway. :shocked2:

OK, so, on to MY warped view of the dive world :eyebrow:

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made in waters 70 degrees F and warmer.

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made with Aluminum 80 cubic foot-ish tanks.

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made using Vest BC's.

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives in the World are made wearing 5 mm or less wet suits.

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" first OW courses were "booked" as 3 or 4 day classes.

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made using full foot fins.

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are "guided dives."

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" will go "deep" within their first dozen logged dives. (>100')

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" will go "under rock" within their first dozen logged dives. (Cavern, not arch)

Those last four may very well be due to me living 2 decades in Hawaii. :cool2:

I think the Dive Industry has "evolved" to supply the demand generated by the customers clamoring for the above list.

I think the "fringe" of the Dive World (those not in 70 degree F or warmer water and those not "recreational") contending that the Dive Industry is not supporting their Dive World is like a Lamborghini dealer in Anchorage, Alaska contending that the Auto Industry is not supporting their Auto World. :rofl3:

It would be pretty cool if at least some of the responses followed a similar theme as the list in this post, but I do not require you to respond in any way other than be honest and open about YOUR views of the Dive World &/or the Dive Industry.

This post should be considered OPTIONAL! I recommend skipping this post unless you are really board!

Here I expound on the minute details that are probably not something the VAST MAJORITY of Scubaboard members will care about, but as questions fire back at me I expect to answer many questions just by quoting parts of this post.

In Florida, I made over 200 dives, mostly from one operator's recreational cattle boats off Key Largo, but I also did a total of 21 Draeger Dolphin Rebreather dives and 8 training dives in cave country to become Intro to Cave certified. I helped a neighboring Key Largo operation out by working a few days on their guided 6-pak dive boat, and with tips it was over $200 per day income, but everyone knew I was headed back to Hawaii.

I chose "that" Instructor Factory mostly because of their Resort Photo Pro part of the training being a coop with Stephen Frink Photography. Luckily that was as good or better than advertised, and the downstairs neighbor of the dive center was Dick Rutkowski; the founder of IANDT, the "father" of "recreational" Nitrox Diving. I wormed my way into Dick's circle for a few special weeks, and sat at his happy hour "round table" for numerous sessions of the history and future of diving discussions by a parade of industry giants. That relationship culminated with a one on one few days of "crossover" with Hyper Dick to my certification as IANTD Advanced Nitrox Instructor.

After the final debriefing of my "Dolphin" dives, my rebreather instructor called IANTD President Tom Mount and I heard one side of a conversation regarding rebreather instructor training pre requisites and minimum annual hours required for renewal of rebreather instructor credentials. 9/11 delayed my flight from San Francisco to Oahu and shortly after landing I talked to IANTD #3 Joe Dituri about the Draeger Dolphin Instructor course I just missed by a week, with only 25 hours pre-rec rather than the "old" 50 hours pre-rec.

When I contacted my rebreather instructor back in Key Largo he said Tom also "dropped" a number of his own teaching certs for rebreathers that he was not diving enough annually. I may have missed being a serious IANTD Tech Instructor by less than a week, and I may have had a small impact on IANTD Standards. I could easily be wrong about all of that as I was already headed down a different path by then and wasn't really paying close attention (ran out of money).

My time in "Cave Country" was short; I retreated back to Satellite Beach for a week waiting for a training buddy. My instructor's website is sidemount.com and Bill Rennaker never talked down to me about my SeaQuest Vest BC, and he never talked down to me about being a PADI nearly zero to beyond hero. He did challenge me sooo hard that my buddy whined about being buddied with me, but at the end Bill congratulated me (both of us) and it was a great experience. Bill also never sent me the extra IANTD Intro to Cave cert I paid $12 for; probably because he didn't renew his annual membership due to not being able to free dive 35 feet. It is often about who you know.

Landing on the North Shore of Oahu, I was soon working for the "radical environmental" dive shop, Deep Ecology. In the summer DE was the "parent" of the newly "protected" Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District, which includes one of the most dived sites in the Hawaiian Islands, Sharks Cove. Not only is this the best Oahu summer OW training site, it is also a multiple cavern site and a multiple cave site that has claimed lives.

By the time I produced my first OW diver it was obvious to me that they would be cavern diving within a week of my shaking their hand, most of them within 2 dives after their OW cert dives. When winter rolled around, our shore training sites moved to the West and Town sides of the Island and then the "next" dive after training is a deep wreck boat dive. I have guided and trained divers at most of the Oahu recreational dive sites and from most of the Oahu recreational dive boats.

I moved to Maui and most newly certified divers produced on Maui will go deep or under rock in less than a week; some do both on their first boat trip. I think all Hawaii instructors should be training on this precept, and mostly I think they try, IMHO. I started my Maui Instructor journey as a Wailea resort instructor, then added over a year of Molokini dive boat work out of Kihei, but preferred the full time resort gig.

That resort closed for a renovation that never happened so I found work with a Lanai dive boat out of Lahaina, that also does West Maui shore diving and training. I've also been back to Kauai for a few cavern dives and over to Kona for day and Manta night dives.

My "instructor" view of the recreational dive world started with nearly zero to past hero Key Largo, 10 years ago, dabbling in some minor tech, then 4 years working Oahu, 3 years working South Maui (1 year Molokini) and 3 Years working West Maui / Lanai.

:popcorn:

Halemano, I agree with most of your posts about what most divers are like and what gear they use but I disagree with this:

I think the "fringe" of the Dive World (those not in 70 degree F or warmer water and those not "recreational") contending that the Dive Industry is not supporting their Dive World is like a Lamborghini dealer in Anchorage, Alaska contending that the Auto Industry is not supporting their Auto World.

I spend tens of thousands a year on diving, dive gear and dive holidays. The divers you talk about do not spend anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore I think it is legitimate to complain that divers like me are not supported by the dive industry.

Therefore I think it is legitimate to complain that divers like me are not supported by the dive industry.

So when you say this Sas, what exactly do you mean by "divers like me are not supported by the dive industry." How are you not supported? (Anyone can answer really if you have a thought)

The divers you talk about do not spend anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore I think it is legitimate to complain that divers like me are not supported by the dive industry.
All he's saying is that there are a lot more warm water holiday divers than enthusiast, dive anywhere divers. And there's a good deal of money to be made providing holiday divers with OW classes, masks, snorkels and fins, and cheap recreational gear that will only ever see warm water service. Oh, and gadgets. Freshly minted OW students sure do love them gadgets.

I've been ignoring the boards for a couple months and might have missed out on a conversation or two - what's this lack of support you're on about?

-B

Hmm ... i must not be one of the vast majority ....

halemanō;5716370:
OK, so, on to MY warped view of the dive world
eyebrow.gif

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made in waters 70 degrees F and warmer.
The majority of my dives would be below 21C ... only mid summer local dives and tropical would be over 21C

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made with Aluminum 80 cubic foot-ish tanks.
I use either 75 or 85 cf steel tanks, but actually agree with you on this one

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made using Vest BC's.
again i would agree with you on this, but i use a back inflate BC

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives in the World are made wearing 5 mm or less wet suits.
I think this is highly likely, I dive in either a 3mm suit or a sharkskin

I think the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" first OW courses were "booked" as 3 or 4 day classes.
Not sure what you mean, but i am pretty sure my initial course was longer than that

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are made using full foot fins.
Do not agree with this one, and not true for me

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational" dives made in the World are "guided dives."
Possibly true, but not for me

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" will go "deep" within their first dozen logged dives. (>100')
No divers i dive with have, and i did not

I think it is highly likely the VAST MAJORITY of "recreational divers" will go "under rock" within their first dozen logged dives. (Cavern, not arch)
No one i dive with did, and i sure did not

Those last four may very well be due to me living 2 decades in Hawaii.
14.gif

I think the Dive Industry has "evolved" to supply the demand generated by the customers clamoring for the above list.
I could see that it may appear that way in tropical destinations, but not where i dive

I think the "fringe" of the Dive World (those not in 70 degree F or warmer water and those not "recreational") contending that the Dive Industry is not supporting their Dive World is like a Lamborghini dealer in Anchorage, Alaska contending that the Auto Industry is not supporting their Auto World. :rofl3:

It would be pretty cool if at least some of the responses followed a similar theme as the list in this post, but I do not require you to respond in any way other than be honest and open about YOUR views of the Dive World &/or the Dive Industry.

So when you say this Sas, what exactly do you mean by "divers like me are not supported by the dive industry." How are you not supported? (Anyone can answer really if you have a thought)

I am not talking about anything in particular. I am just saying, if I want to complain about an aspect of the dive industry, I think it is legitimate, given the amount of money I put into it.

I also recommend particular brands to dozens of divers I like, as well as places that provide good service, plus I encourage others into diving... as well as the cash :wink:

Interesting posts, but spot on!!

thanksforallthefish,

Replace "VAST MAJORITY" with GLOBAL TRENDS", you should get the picture then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom