Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how?

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello world,

Please let me know of good schools/centres for shipwreck diving in the winter that are somewhere warm. I want to do a solid month or two mainly wreck diving and progressing my PADI tickets

Where do I want:
Somewhere warm, I work on ships mostly in the North sea so just want a change in temp this winter

What do I want:

To do my advanced & tek diving focussing on shipwrecks & wreck penetration with a centre

Courses I want to do:
Advanced PADI with wreck & deep diving
Intro to Tek
Tek 40
Overhead environments
Mixed gas Nitrox
Tri mix
Rebreather
Performance buoyancy
Drysuit diving

What have I got/done so far:
Open water cert, in Capernwray quarry diving in the wrecks around 2 years ago now.
Total dives: around 6

This is my first post so please let me know if I've missed something and I look forward to hearing the suggestions

Hello world,

Please let me know of good schools/centres for shipwreck diving in the winter that are somewhere warm. I want to do a solid month or two mainly wreck diving and progressing my PADI tickets

Where do I want:
Somewhere warm, I work on ships mostly in the North sea so just want a change in temp this winter

What do I want:

To do my advanced & tek diving focussing on shipwrecks & wreck penetration with a centre

Courses I want to do:
Intro to Tek
Tek 40
Overhead environments
Mixed gas Nitrox
Tri mix
Rebreather
Performance buoyancy
Drysuit diving

Open water cert, in Capernwray quarry diving in the wrecks around 2 years ago now.

This is my first post so please let me know if I've missed something and I look forward to hearing the suggestions
Suggest that you look at your Padi Advanced & Nitrox as your next courses, that's a long list of courses but best get some experience between each one. Nitrox is basically a classroom course and is a good companion to the PADI Advanced.
As for where to go, if your based on the North sea anyplace in the Med during summer will suit you nicely, nice, close and warm, Spain, Portugal and similar

If you have only done 6 dives in total, you really need to do a lot of dives before you even think about doing most of the courses you have listed. Shipwrecks should be way down the list till you are somewhat experienced.

Reactions: Doc
+1 @clownfishsydney

Look at the cluster of Tech centers at Sabang Puerto Galera Philippines. Hotel Atlantis is the ritzy one, other cheaper options along Sabang.

its too early to plan for CCR/trimix/wreck penetration at your current level, just put those as future goals

coron is fairly warm, cheap, and a reasonable spot to get your aow/nitrox and possibly ITT done over a month or two

malta or northern egypt are also options, but won't be quite as warm. an option if you want to get the drysuit training done in not quite so cold temps first though.

Hello world,

Where do I want:

What do I want:

Courses I want to do:
Intro to Tek
Tek 40
Overhead environments
Mixed gas Nitrox
Tri mix
Rebreather
Performance buoyancy
Drysuit diving

I’d recommend you take this one step at a time. do your advanced and spend the rest of the summer/fall diving as much as possible. Especially if you want to do wrecks, get as many dives with a good buddy/divemaster to coach you on your buoyancy, trim, and swim strokes. They need to be on point.

As for warm water in winter time, Pattaya Thailand and Subic Bay Philippines have great entry level wrecks. For both locations I’d recommend pairing Wreck and Deep, with NITROX if you don’t have it by then.

There’s a PADI 5 Star shop in Olongapo called Arizona Dive Shop that runs a good operation. Subic Bay has a ton of wrecks ranging from 30ft down to 130+ ft. Olongapo is kinda…. rough around the edges, and if you go, you might be better off staying in Subic Bay Free Port Zone.

Dive Centre Pattaya and No Limit Divers Pattaya both run a good clean operation if you go to Thailand. Most of the wrecks are down around 80-100ft, some are deeper. If you’re going to do wrecks in Samaesan, you’re going to want really solid fundamentals and a good bit of experience since the conditions can get pretty wild.

Keep in mind also, that’s going to be pretty expensive. Like you’re looking at 4-5 days of diving plus 2-3 certs and course materials (you can likely negotiate a deal on the tanks), you’re looking at about an $600-$900 trip.

I agree with to early for CCR tech, that is its own pathway.

Second is normally I say instructor not agency. The one exception to this is PADI tech courses. Don't do PADI tech it is pretty much considered a joke among the tech community. Much better to go TDI, NAUI, IANTD, or GUE.

As for order there are pluses to do doing OC tech prior to starting mod1 of CCR, there are plusses to do doing mod1 CCR and not doing OC tech at all just mod1 build up experience and then progress through the CCR to reach target depths over time. There was a long discussion on this a short time ago. Realize either way it takes time to get the necessary experience to progress through the classes.

Edit.
Reread your OP. You are no where near ready for most of what you want, there is no way you can reach that in a few months. What you want will take years to progress through. The only classes you should take is drysuit, nitrox and EFR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom