Warning - Multiple people sick at Iberostar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a simple solution - eat only where you see locals eating.

Exactly my friend.

Here's a simple solution - eat only where you see locals eating.

Problem with that advice is that it isn't necessarily safe to eat what locals eat. Their systems have built up immunity to many of the bugs our systems are seeing for the first time.

That means you won't eat much at AIs

That's just silly. Some AIs are run in accordance with good health practices - others aren't, just like anywhere else in the world - and any other kind of restaurant. I don't think I've eaten anything other than AI food in Coz, and haven't had any GI problems (nor am I aware of anyone else staying at the same AIs while I was there having problems). Do some research ahead of time - if there are problems, people will have complained about it and you can (and should) avoid those AIs with a reputation for creating gastric havoc.

I don't think I've eaten anything other than AI food in Coz
To each there own, but you are missing out on a really great part of the vacation in Cozumel if you limit yourself to a resort. There are a few dive destinations where I would only stay at a resort, but Cozumel is definitely not one of them. There are so many great food options - all price ranges and all types. I have a cheese clothe stomach and in almost 20yrs of trips to the Yucatan (mainland, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel), I've only been sick a few times and never from the food. All were tap water related and I learned very quickly to not believe anyone when they say the hotel or condo tap water was safe to use...

To each there own, but you are missing out on a really great part of the vacation in Cozumel if you limit yourself to a resort.

One of the attractive parts for us in Cozumel is the food. We love to try the small places in the neighborhoods as well as the more well know restaurants. Last November we stayed at El Cozumelano with some friends for 3 nights. We ate breakfast there each morning and had lunch when we got back from diving. Having the dinner buffet would have been insanely boring, almost torture for us so we went into town. The food in town is so good! The last 4 nights of that vacation we stayed at a condo that we rent in Corpus Christi. We have never had a problem with sickness. As you said Scubawife, to each their own.

I suspect that the extended drought may be taxing the local water purification systems of the "out-of-town" resorts. I was at the Occidental grand in May and had a little trouble. Not enough to miss any diving, but I did forgo the wetsuit a couple days just in case.:eyebrow:

BTW, my garlic conch incident was on the east side of the island many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
That means you won't eat much at AIs

NancyLynn wrote: That's just silly. Some AIs are run in accordance with good health practices -

I forgot - some people have no sense of humor, or irony or sarcasm or whatever. Ask yourself - when was the last time you saw a group of locals tucking into supper at an AI???

To each there own, but you are missing out on a really great part of the vacation in Cozumel if you limit yourself to a resort. There are a few dive destinations where I would only stay at a resort, but Cozumel is definitely not one of them. There are so many great food options - all price ranges and all types. I have a cheese clothe stomach and in almost 20yrs of trips to the Yucatan (mainland, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel), I've only been sick a few times and never from the food. All were tap water related and I learned very quickly to not believe anyone when they say the hotel or condo tap water was safe to use...

Like the tacos at that little shack at the caleta - mmmm.

Yes, in general it is safer not to use the tap water for brushing teeth, etc.

The kids went with me last year and it was their first trip to Coz. Son-in-law has been all over the world when he was in the Navy, and they were very fastidious about the food/water thing even though the resort we stayed at that time had the little stickers on the bathroom mirror that stated the tap water was safe...and we saw several semi-trucks deliver water several times a day. The kids pretty much followed the basic rules that Gordon and Driftin' By have stated.

They still got a little sick for about a day and a half, but didn't miss any diving. Step-daughter was still sick for awhile after she got home, but she did have some unrelated gastric problems that have since been resolved by the medical profession. The kids think they traced their problem to a breakfast they had at the resort. But the wife and I have been going to the island for about 15 years and have eaten at quite a few places, a lot of them cocina economicas, and we or anyone else that I have went with has never gotten sick except for the kids...knock on wood. And the kids and I all ate at the same places last time but we didn't order the same things.

Even though they may have little stickers on the bathroom mirror and tanker trucks do deliver water, I err on the side of caution. And just like at home, a restaurant can have problems from time to time. There was a major chain restaraunt here in my little town that had a slight problem with food poisoning a few months ago.

The argument that the locals have built up a resistance to local bacteria has merit, but Coz. is a tourist destination and most places want you to come back. But when about 18 people get sick at one place it does give you pause for thought.

I contracted severe food poisoning (Salmonella) at a Subway in Dallas last November necessitating brief hospitalisation, but that doesn't mean that all Subways are dangerous. I felt awful for over two weeks.

Mind you, the company's dismissal of my experience (they acknowledged it then ignored it) DOES make me wary of ever patronising one of their establishments again.

Interestingly, we have lots of street stands selling local food here in Belize, and lots of tourists use them. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with bad food.

You are supposed to get a follow-up hep-A shot six months after the first, to make it good for life. I got one in March for an April trip to Costa Rica, and am going to try to remember to go back for another in September. I know a lot of people who said they forgot the follow-up.

Back
Top Bottom