Warning - Multiple people sick at Iberostar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
8 out of 16 people in my group last week got sick with Montezuma's Revenge at the Iberostar and we heard of at least 10 or more there. It took me down hard for a day and a half during which I could not dive. Because of this, even though I have stayed there 5 times before, that will be my last stay.

This does happen from time to time at all hotels, but this is the worst case I've experienced (still sick) and just don't want anybody else's trip impacted.

BTW, Immodium now comes in chewable grape flavored tablets :)

Sorry to hear that... It took me about 6 trips to the Yucatan to figure out how not to get sick. One of the things I figured out was NOT to stay at any Iberostar. =) But seriously, it can happen anywhere, anyplace. Heck I can't eat tomatoes now in the good ole' US of A.

I have seen some Chefs at AI's BBQ Chicken using the same tongs on the raw chicken that they serve it to you with.

Care to share other tips? :)

Here are a few of mine...

I don't drink tap water.

I keep water out of my mouth in the shower and swimming pool.

I brush my teeth and rinse my toothbrush in bottled water.

I don't bite my fingernails.

I wash limes in bottled water before putting them into gin and tonic.

I don't drink alcohol to excess.

I don't drink alcohol to excess.

Hey now, no need to get crazy :)

Same thing happened to my wife and I staying there in April. Got ill twice eating there and dined in town for the rest of the week.

FWIW:

I got in trouble from eating salads. The salad vegetables were washed in local water...

FIreANG3L:
Care to share other tips?

Gordon makes some good ones. I'll also add...
Pound the yogurt (with live cultures) 2-3 times a day the week before your trip and eat it daily while there. If yogurt isn't your thing, you can take acidophilus tablets that accomplish the same thing... loading your digestive tract up with good bacteria that will attack harmful bacteria that you may ingest.

Take Pepto Bismol as prescribed a couple of days before and daily during your stay.

Fruits and Vegetables: If you can't peel it or cook it, don't eat it.

Start the trip with a fresh, new tooth brush. I'd use the one from a previous trip and came to the conclusion that any trace amount of bacteria from the previous trip would grow and be a real problem. But that's only a SWAG.

The only water that goes into your mouth come directly out of a sealed bottle of agua purificada. Showering especially. I know it sounds gross, but I apparently had a habit of sucking the water out of my mustache while showering subconsciously. I discovered myself doing it while in Mexico of all places. I now bite my lips to avoid it and it's less filling too!

I used to stay away from ice but I think I cured the problem with the above.

Contrary to comments above about excessive drinking, I've found a couple shots of tequila a day helps kill any harmful bacteria. :D

Money is filthy. Always wash your hands after handling it. As a matter of fact, you simply cannot wash your hands enough while abroad.

Save eating rare steaks and medium rare hamburgers for at home. Order meats well done.

Error on the side of caution and don't experiment eating stuff you're not sure about.

GPdiver:
I have seen some Chefs at AI's BBQ Chicken using the same tongs on the raw chicken that they serve it to you with.

I've seen the same thing too. In fact, I do the same when I cook at home. Put raw meat (chicken) on the grill, turn it then with the same thongs, serve it. As a cook of a popular steak house, once upon a time, the procedure was the same... except for any time interval between handling the raw meat and the cooked meat, you'd go directly from putting a raw piece of chicken on the grill next to a fully finished steak, grab the finished steak and place it on someones plate! I know it's not right, but it's the way it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom