Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to post a warning to anyone who dives in Monterey to be wary of a local diver named Fred who approaches divers, especially women, at local dive sites and asks to join them on their dives. He drives an older red pickup truck and typically wears a cap with a dive flag on the front.

I had a very disturbing experience with this guy about a month ago where he grabbed me underwater and tried to drag me off in an unplanned direction. I have since learned other disturbing facts about his reputation.

I am not one to spread rumors, but the information I got was from several very reliable sources and I think it's important information for divers to have in making choices about who NOT to dive with.

According to several professionals at various dive shops in Monterey, Fred has had a reputation for this kind of behavior. They shared their knowledge about cards he has had that misrepresented him as a dive professional and "certified dive buddy". They also indicated that there was evidence that he has turned off air to force a buddy breathing situation. The dive professionals that I've talked to try to dissuade people from diving with him and one dive shop won't even fill his tanks.

I learned a very important lesson that day I let him tag along. I was not so kind and accomodating the second time he approached me. I hope this information helps others from having a similar experience.

~LittleFrog, a little wiser.

what a dangerous freak. Yes, report him.

I doubt Fred is around anymore, and if he is he’s probably too old and decrepit to be of any concern.
But yeah, weirdos can be kinda alarming.
Now I hear the new problem are the homeless that seemed to have moved into the area and pilfer stuff out of peoples’ vehicles when they’re not looking.

maybe leave a sandwich or something on the hood of your car for them. there but for the grace of god and all that, ya know?

Completely agree. And you're right about the seagulls. Those things are a-holes.

While there have been occasional reports of theft I’ve never had an issue there.

Humans are a resilient species, with lack of other options they will choose to survive, if that means taking stuff they will, every single one of us would do the same, it costs much less to keep people honest than it does to catch and punish them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom