Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleFrog

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just wanted to post a warning to anyone who dives in Monterey to be wary of a local diver named Fred who approaches divers, especially women, at local dive sites and asks to join them on their dives. He drives an older red pickup truck and typically wears a cap with a dive flag on the front.

I had a very disturbing experience with this guy about a month ago where he grabbed me underwater and tried to drag me off in an unplanned direction. I have since learned other disturbing facts about his reputation.

I am not one to spread rumors, but the information I got was from several very reliable sources and I think it's important information for divers to have in making choices about who NOT to dive with.

According to several professionals at various dive shops in Monterey, Fred has had a reputation for this kind of behavior. They shared their knowledge about cards he has had that misrepresented him as a dive professional and "certified dive buddy". They also indicated that there was evidence that he has turned off air to force a buddy breathing situation. The dive professionals that I've talked to try to dissuade people from diving with him and one dive shop won't even fill his tanks.

I learned a very important lesson that day I let him tag along. I was not so kind and accomodating the second time he approached me. I hope this information helps others from having a similar experience.

~LittleFrog, a little wiser.

Hey, this guy is treat to other divers, turning off air???? Report him to the authorities, damn psycho.

I see the legend of Fred continues. He has hit me up several times to dive but i always decline politely and have a collection of his dive buddy cards....lol. I have heard and read numerous stories about fred. Personally i dont think the ol boy is playing with a full deck myself. As advised, women divers be very cautious diving with him.

I agree- he needs to be reported to the authorities!!!?
Grabbing women underwater and trying to drag them off somewhere...??!! I would file a report with the cops!

Eeeeew creepy... that dude gave me one of those cards when I first started.
Apparently he likes guys as well.
I'm not homophobic but the preditor thing is really really creepy.

lal7176:
I see the legend of Fred continues. He has hit me up several times to dive but i always decline politely and have a collection of his dive buddy cards....lol. I have heard and read numerous stories about fred. Personally i dont think the ol boy is playing with a full deck myself. As advised, women divers be very cautious diving with him.
Oh man - I know the guy you're talking about. He basically hit on me in the carpark at Breakwater one day, even though I was with another female buddy at the time, and we were in the middle of getting out of our gear at the back of the car - for all anyone knew it could have been a wife or girlfriend, but he just walks up and starts trying to chat me up. He's one CREEPY dude.

The guy needs to move about 2 hours north.

This guy asked me too! It was a few years back and I could not believe he is still around. I don't think he approached cause he's gay, I think he's a little weird as he tried to persuade me to go to other dive site with him. I just didn't think it was a good idea moving all my gears into a stranger's red pick up truck and go somewhere I don't know.

For those of you talking about this guy Fred, grabbing somone underwater and turning off an air supply constitutes both both a "Battery" and the placing of the victim at risk of possible injury. These are arrestable offenses. What you are talking about is a prelude, or run-up, to even more serious activities on this man's part.

Go to the law enforcement agency that has legal jurisdiction for your area now before he does something very serious to some unsuspecting female (or male, for that matter) diver. The investigators for that particular agency need to know this information. If not for yourself, do this to protect others, please!

BJD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom