Warning: Bad Belize Dive Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone seen or heard from the OP (other than the rather rude PM I just got)?

Wild west? I wouldn't go that far....well....on the other hand....
But yeah, if you do get hurt, you'll want to hop a plane out of here.
And one day I was diving/hunting one of our favorite cuts. It's just northeast of Dangriga....not a frequently visited area for tourists. One day a sailboat with tourists pulls up. Last Dec or Jan....it was cold for us. We look and keep hunting....then we see a man and what looked like a 5 year old standing on the shallow reef along the edge of the cut. The current does rip here...one of the few places in Belize. That day I could barely make headway with longblade, carbon fiber fins but we know where the eddies are and where it rips etc
So our buddy who was driving my boat pulls up to them and says, "hey, you know you're in a ripping current"? And the guy says, "really"? And his son looked like he was freezing with no wetsuit. We took them back to the boat that dropped them. No one seemed concerned. But they were pretty close to getting sucked out to open water. Pretty "wild west" I guess....Except for mine and theirs, there wasn't another boat in sight.

Mine was a bit more polite :wink:

John,
Thank you for your response and in fact you are correct on many points. However, in addition to the OW divers and snorklers onboard, there were about 8 other instructors, Boat Captains and other saavy people who approached the operator at the end of the day. We went to them in a respectful manner informing him of our concerns. Initially, I actually remained in the background and allowed two doctors who were horrified by the situation speak along with two instructors. It appeared to fall on deaf ears. We articulately described the chaos in an effort to disclose this to him as a business owner but we were met with defiance. We thouroughly outlined the safety issues with the vessel as well as the dive operation and we were informed by staff that this was not unusual for them. One employee actually expressed a fear of ruining their well earned reputation working with them. To the best of my knowledge, there are no unfounded accusations and myself and others were sincerely concerned about the safety of the other divers/ snorklers onboard. Otherwise our trip was absolutely wonderful and we plan to return in December, where the dogs are free and the children respectful.

Namaste, Marcie

That is correct , Peter. I was also told but cannot substantiate that one diver who they had picked up late from another site. Again, I was'nt sure how that happened but apparently there were 3 divers who came in for the last 2 dives (one gentleman was a firefighter) and when the female got on the boat, of course, I was in the water. I was told she was encouraged by the head instructor to enter the water and swim towards our bubbles (at 50ft) and drop down. Now as I was told, she geared up got 10ft. from the boat and made a prudent decision not to descend..smart girl..

John,
We went to them in a respectful manner informing him of our concerns. Initially, I actually remained in the background and allowed two doctors who were horrified by the situation speak along with two instructors. It appeared to fall on deaf ears. We articulately described the chaos in an effort to disclose this to him as a business owner but we were met with defiance.

It sounds as if the manager of the shop I experienced found a new home after the last one went out of business.

well one who works with animal rescue..I do like to fatten them up a bit and give lots of hugs..the place where we stayed had 2 rescued..very lucky girls..and the kids are still polite..just like the kids I worked with in Africa..no $200 Nikes' but respectful, polite, and happy!...

---------- Post Merged at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Jim,
I would suggest I exhibited enormous self restraint in my response to your sarcastic and arrogant note which lacked any amount of regard for fellow divers' safety of which was my sole intention of posting, and as a result of your commentary, I have requested Steve kindly remove the post to further discussion. Although I rarely use this site, I assumed it was a venue designed for intelligent discussion about diving which might benefit and inform the entire community. Attempting to paint me as an hysterical or dramatic female lacking knowledge and a basis for fact simply does'nt work in my case kiddo. Iv'e witnessed a lot of death and destruction in my life in war torn underdeveloped countries so safety and the protection of others is definitely first and foremost for me. That is how I choose to live my life. The dive community that I know is respectful and alert to the needs and concerns of other divers so I kindly request not to hear from you again so please, let it go and move on. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zenpash... we (viewers) assume that you are aware of the potentially damaging business repercussions to the operation concerned, caused through posting a damning report on a forum that will inevitably become a 'Google Page 1' search response.

In that respect, it is entirely fair that people seek to establish credibility to public claims and question any specifics that seem vague and/or implausible. That doesn't necessarily mean they doubt the poster - it just means that people are aware that there are normally 'two-sides to every story' and that malicious reports, with the intent to 'punish', do occur online. Differentiating between a malicious report and a genuine, substantiated grievance or warning is only prudent and responsible. In doing so, those commentators are not expressing bias... in fact, they are trying to establish a fair and unbiased account of the actual events and issues.

In my personal opinion, where such complaints/reports are posted, the intent is often to damage the business concerned. Not always, but often. That is a weak motive for posting.

Where a genuine concern exists to 'protect' other divers, then an effort is normally made to raise the target business' awareness of the negative feedback given. Attempts are also made to raise the issue directly with the business concerned, before a 'public outing' is resorted to.

This process, generally, provides the business with valuable feedback - in an environment that they cannot dismiss - that helps encourage them towards positive change. You cannot control how the business will respond to such a report - but the manner in which they address it will often provide more than enough evidence for other divers to make a reflective decision about their operation, attitude and approach.

Likewise, the way in which a complaint responds to feedback, questions or critique also paints a picture in readers' minds. A defensive or emotional stance rarely succeeds in convincing viewers that their motives for posting are unbiased, benign or 'entirely in the public interest'.

Some posts that don't add any value to this thread have been deleted. Astute observers may have also noticed the title change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom