warmth vs weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi There-

I'm curious how folks handle the decision about the warmth of your suit vs how much weight you need. We're heading to Cocoview in Roatan at the end of May. I typically dive in a 5 mm suit because I tend to get cold at depth. However, that means 22 lbs of weights. Not a huge deal for boat dives but for shore dives it means I'm walking out with almost 70 1bs on my back (weights + tank + BC).

So how do you deal with the weight vs warmth issue? Does anyone but me have trouble carrying all of that?

I think you may be over-weighted. With my 5 mm and steel backplate style BC (that's roughly 6 lbs.), I carry 6-8 lbs. of lead. Even when I used to dive with a traditional jacket-style BC made of floaty material, I only carried 14 lbs. of lead. I bet you could easily shed 6-8 lbs. of that 22 lbs. you are carrying.

As a friendly suggestion I would arrange a "weight check" dive on arrival...that sounds like way too much weight to me.

I tend to agree with Lorenzoid. You're probably a bit over-weighted, but you need what you need. You know the exposure protection you want to wear and they provide the weights. Just do a proper weight check when you get there and dive the weight you need. If you're fuzzy on the weight check (don't really know your experience), there is staff there that will be happy to help you. There's no magic (that I know of other than it seems lighter in the water). Enjoy the diving. :)

Thanks, folks! Having time to really work on buoyancy is one of the things I'm looking forward to. I don't have a lot of experience, but on each trip I've been pretty consistent. In Cozumel our dive master (Alejandro Salas, wonderful DM!) tried helping me to reduce my weights but I kept popping up at the end of dives.

I'm assuming more experience means more confidence, less weight?

People will have tricks they can show/explain to help you reduce your weights, but experience is what seems to help most. Just keep at it. Every new diver has the same difficulties. In time--I would wager during this trip--you will find your optimal weighting.

Be sure to attend Patty's free buoyancy presentation, and have the Divemaster help you with a weight check on your orientation dive. Unless your wetsuit is a BIG size 22lb. seems like a lot.

My wife and I wear 7mm wetsuits and when we're suited up, like you said, we end up with a fair amount of weight on us. All we do is bring our gear as close to the shore as possible before gearing up. Limit the amount of time on land holding the weight. Depending on the site, we have put our inflated BCs in the water, then floated them out into the water a bit before putting them on.

First you have to determine your cold tolerance. Then do weight checks with various exposure suits. Then make a list regarding what you need for each temperature range and how much weight is needed. No shortcuts here.

Without knowing what your body make up is like no one can say over the net if the amount you are using is too much. But a proper check is the only way to be absolutely sure. Problem these days is it seems some instructors don't know how to do this, don't want to, or use over weighting as an excuse to sell you another class. It's a real shame since it takes only about a half hour to fully explain and do a proper check the first time that includes positioning of them for good trim. After that it's a quick process the student can easily do every time they change gear. It's not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom