Warmest Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parts Bob

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. For the past several years I have found myself chilled after one dive so I'm looking for feedback on the warmest wetsuits. I am 59 years old and a right hand amputee. I've been diving since 1964 here in the northeast where the water temp is chilly. I've been looking at the Henderson line and an instructor I saw at a beach in Rockport MA with her students was wearing a brand called Waterproof, which she told me was very warm. I know I will probably also wear a vest under whatever I end up buying....Any feedback about warmth and ease of donning and doffing would be appreciated...Thanks, Bob

I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. For the past several years I have found myself chilled after one dive so I'm looking for feedback on the warmest wetsuits. I am 59 years old and a right hand amputee. I've been diving since 1964 here in the northeast where the water temp is chilly. I've been looking at the Henderson line and an instructor I saw at a beach in Rockport MA with her students was wearing a brand called Waterproof, which she told me was very warm. I know I will probably also wear a vest under whatever I end up buying....Any feedback about warmth and ease of donning and doffing would be appreciated...Thanks, Bob

Apart from what Scuba70 just said, I have a new Aqualung SOLAFX 8/7 mil wetsuit that is toasty for me. I have been in low 60s in it and still been comfortable. Its not a cheap suit, but its not as expensive as diving dry. It is made with a hyperstretch neoprene that is easy to get on and off, and it is considered a semidry suit, so there is a piece of 1 mil that goes over your head, and then the piece with the built in hood comes over, and it zips across the length of your chest. I like it and it keeps me warm.

Last year I rented the Xcel Polar Quad (from diveshop in Londonderry you're perhaps familiar with). Neoprene was I think 8, 7, 6, 5 mm in different areas and it was a "semi dry" design. I was very happy with how warm it kept my body. April shore dive last year was my first experience with this suit and water temp was as low as 38 degrees. Admittedly my feet were REALLY cold by the end of the dive but the rest of me was 'ok' - and I can say I was very comfortable for much of the dive. This shop sells these suits - but the opportunity to rent one first might be a good idea to see how it works for you. This suit does have an integrated hood - which could impact how you might do any further 'layering'.

I was looking to buy a wetsuit this year as well and searching the board will turn up lots of additional advise and opinions on warm wetsuit brands.

I purchased a 3mm Waterproof brand wetsuit last year and have been very happy with it. Compared to the Akona and Evo 3mm wetsuits I own it is a warmer wetsuit. They are not a cheap wetsuit you pay for the warmth. The zippers on the wrist, neck and ankles help when donning and doffing the wetsuit.

Bob

Waterproof is a great brand. One of the best constructed suits I've seen. Since I started stocking them everyone who has tried one has been very happy, but if you're looking for warmest possible, no wetsuit can compare to a drysuit.

If you want to come by and check out the waterproof suits, I have plenty in stock. I also have drysuits in stock, and if you would like to test dive one I can certainly accomodate that. A few years ago I had a suit made for another guy who had lost a hand.

Pinnacle Aquatics makes a semi-dry suit called the Polar which I know is very warm. They also make the Fusion which I dont own but have heard it is warm. They also make a very reasonably priced dry suit called the Evolution II which I dive with. All of the above mentioned suits are of very high quality, having seen all of them personally. Fathom Divers in NH is a dealer for Pinnacle Aquatics. Not sure how close they are to your location but might be worth a drive so you can check the suits out. You can check them out online first at, Pinnacle Aquatics

Last year I rented the Xcel Polar Quad...

I've got 150 dives on my 8,7,6,5mm Xcel Polar Quad and it's still warm. I'll never forget test diving it in a 48 degree pool and being amazed at how only my hands and face were cold. The zipper across the chest is awesome and the ultra comfortable integrated hood definitely is an added bonus. I think I'll apply as a salesman :D

I consider it a smart suit because it's thicker where it's important and thinner where you need better dexterity. Plus the interior is constructed of an anti friction material making it easy to don and doff.

Good luck with your purchase, when this suit wears out I'm definitely getting another for our frigid so-cal waters.

Billy

I dive here in southern california waters, winter temps can reach down to low 50's and occasional upper 40's. I have a Bare wetsuit and it keeps me plenty warm. My first Bare wetsuit lasted for about 7 years and 350dives, I am on suit #2 with appx. 150 dives. Check them out. Good luck and good diving !

Apart from what Scuba70 just said, I have a new Aqualung SOLAFX 8/7 mil wetsuit that is toasty for me. I have been in low 60s in it and still been comfortable. .

Low 60's is the warmest water the OP will see in this area.

One of my buddies has a waterproof suit. It keeps him very warm, and looks to be built better than any other suit I've seen. I think it is a semi-dry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom