Warmest wetsuit ceated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSIdiver02

Reaction score
This may stir up some contoversy, but what is the warmest wesui created? I would like to have a wetsuit, if possible, to dive in 40 degree water. So what do you guys think :confused:

40 degree water:eek:, forget the wet suit, get yourself a dry suit.

Most of the diving I do is in Victoria and the water temp is ~50 deg F (+/- a couple, depends on the season, depends on depth .....blah blah blah).
Now I have seen divers using wet suits, but in between dives they were pretty cold. And the divers that were wearing Rental suits that didn't fit very well ended up only doing one dive and paid for a "boat" trip instead of a dive trip. In my drysuit I'm warm in the water, and warm in between dives. The best of all worlds:)

I dove wet for my first few dives in 50-55 degree water and I can't say I was ever cold on the first dive of any day.

However when your sitting around at the surface interval for an hour+ you can get pretty cold even with a 70+ degree air temperature and you never manage to warm back up for the subsequent dives.

I recently started diving dry and for me the biggest plus was being able to sit around during the surface interval without freezing. That and being ready to drive home much quicker than I ever could when I dove wet.

40 degrees?

You have TWO possible options

1. buy a drysuit

2. buy a boat to carry your hot water pump and teather that your hot water suit needs

Andy

Diving in 40 degree water with a wet suit is not a good idea at all. Unless of course your rich enough to afford a surface support and a hot water suit. But then a drysuit would be cheaper wouldnt it!

If you really want a wetsuit why not look into a custom 7mm or 9mm suit that's super stretchy and fast drying, so makes even for a comfortable boat ride between dives? 2 piece, high waist, no zippers, incorporated hood. Biggest trouble will be keeping your hands and feet warm but good fitting gloves and socks or boots can work well. E-mail the people at www.eliossub.com in italy and ask them what they would recommend. They have the most reasonable priced professional custom built suits I've seen.

You can get a drysuit for under $1000 dollars. Training will run you another $150 or so. Spend the money on going dry and you'll never look back. A wet suit in those conditions is a waste of money.

The custom eliossubs are running less than $200. That is almost a $1000 initial savings over dry suit and instruction.

I'm curious too, how much is the upkeep cost on a dry suit? Neck and cuff seals for instance?

And what is the expected life span of one? I know, I know, wetsuits don't last forever either, but they won't cost $1000 to replace either.

With a good custom built wetsuit you would be surprised at the comfort in cold water conditions and the small amount of water that it lets in, if any.

How warm is that wetsuit going to be 80 feet under? How about in December when you get out of the 40 degree water and its 25 degrees outside? I wouldn't want to be wet. The issue is not necessarily warmth underwater.

Neck & wrist seals need to be replaced every few years and are around $20-$40/each.

And could you please point me at a wetsuit that is $200 and will keep me warm in 40 degree water? I'd be interested, since most two piece 7mm wetsuits are $300-$400. A new neoprene drysuit can be under $700.

A drysuit, if properly maintained, will last many many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom