Warmest wetsuit ceated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron,
I'll take it your post is directed to me. I will give you that at 80' a wetsuit will compress and lose much of it's insulating properties at that depth. Again, as for a custom suit that will keep you warm in 40deg water for $200, check on the custom built eliossub suits up to 10mm thick. I have a 5mm suit that I have worn for an hour in 46 deg. water with no problems, many hours in low 50's deg. water and that "tailor made" suit was $175 u.s. delivered. I'm still in the water and the temperature outside now is a balmy 4deg c.

And so, my answer to the original post is the warmest wetsuit I'm aware of that will handle 40 F. deg water is a 10mm eliossub, custom fit, 2 piece, no zippers, integrated hood. I'm sure others make thicker wetsuits, probably not of better quality than elios, and I doubt if they will compare on price. And they have them in high density neoprene to deter the compression factors at 80'.

If it's a wetsuit you want, I would check out the suits at http://www.eliossub.com/html/pole.html

You are a better man than I if you dive in 46 degree water with a 5mm...most people would have two piece 7mm at the very least...I am downright freezing in a one piece 6.5 below 58-60 degrees and would never want to get out into 40 degree air with a wetsuit. Maybe that makes me a wuss, but there is a reason why most divers in cold climates use drysuits.

10mm!? Can you even move your arms in something that thick? A 7mm almost too bulky for me and is a PIA to get on and off.

To each their own.

I've been diving for over 30 years In that time, I've heard a number of divers tell me that they can dive comfortably (warmly) in sub-50F water wearing a wetsuit.

I have yet to see one of them make it through a multi-dive day without freezing their butts off. It gets tiring having to step over their whining huddled bodies on the boat ride back to shore.

The first guy that comes up with an environmental suit (wet or dry) that he can sell at a profit for less than US$200 and that will keep a diver warm in sub-50F water for hours is going to get rich. Very rich.

Being cold underwater not only spoils the fun, it's dangerous. Go dry at your first opportunity.

Steven

My sentiments exactly, reefraff....there is a reason why people by drysuits! No matter how thick the wetsuit, no matter how tightly it fits, there is a basic problem relating to physics -- it is easier for our bodies to warm a pocket of air than water that moves around.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
I don't own a Diving Concepts and am not in any way affiliated with them...just think it is an interesting, intelligent, and concise argument to dive dry (my drysuit will be ordered in the next couple weeks Aaron so you can stop right there :) )

http://www.divingconcepts.com/why_dive_dry.htm

Check it out...

Funny...I just read that article yesterday! It is a very well written article. I will be purchasing a set of the snap on dry gloves shortly.

And way to go with the drysuit! Are you looking to get more tech or just more comfortable? Are the BP/wings in yet?

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
And way to go with the drysuit! Are you looking to get more tech or just more comfortable? Are the BP/wings in yet?

Just looking to extend the diving season more than anything...I figure I have two choices:

1) I can move to Florida and begin to vote for the communist candidate while claiming I thought I was voting for the right-wing conservative. :D

2) Continue to live in the heart of Red Sox-nation and cough up the money for the drysuit. :yea:

I'll get the BP as soon as the drysuit comes in so that I can fit it against the drysuit.

Thanks a lot you 2

Personally, I am going to be purchasing a new suit proabbly in the next year. I dive in cold enough water (45 to 55) that I am going to probably move to a drysuit. However, those wetsuits from Italy sure look nice...but I think I've had enough fun being wet. I will definetly refer students to that site for future wetsuit purchases.

SSI...my suggestion would be to move to a drysuit and get the training. I too dive in OH, and drysuits are becoming much more economical....not to mention, I'm tired of putting back on a cold wetsuit for second and third dives.

Once during a surface interval I and 2 others jumped in for a swim buck naked in 30 degree water .so many people have doubted both my sanity and my intelligence .but I will have to place my vote for the dry suit .I always dive dry unless it is too hot to do so.you can adjust under garments to meet different conditions .I have never seen anyone properly diving dry who wished they were wet.it does cost more at first but i wouldnt do it any other way
joens

reefraff once bubbled...
I have yet to see one of them make it through a multi-dive day without freezing their butts off. It gets tiring having to step over their whining huddled bodies on the boat ride back to shore.

Steven

I like the bit about the "whining huddled bodies". Very funny.

I've dove 44 degrees at depth in a 7-6-5 with titanium skin underneath & titanium hood. It was fine for the 1st day (2 tank) but by the 2nd dive day 2 I was pouring hot water in my suit before the dive. I still got cold & the dive lasted a total of 22 minutes. In other words, I'm going to look into a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom