Warm water wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetMedic

New
Reaction score
Ok ladies I need some advice on a wetsuit for tropical diving. I am a new diver with all my diving so far done in the balmy waters off the Central Coast of CA and in The Channel Islands (average water temps in the low 50s). Currently I use a 7mm full suit with a 3mm hooded vest. I tend to get cold on the 3rd dive of the day but not uncomfortably so.

Next month (September) I am of to Curacao for a week and need advice as to what expose protection I should bring. From what I have been reading the water temp is in the 80-85 range in September. I am looking at both a 3/2mm and a 0.5mm suit and am wondering what you dive with in warm water?

Thanks for any and all advice, its gonna be nice to peel off the thick suit and enjoy some warm water!!

I am looking at both a 3/2mm and a 0.5mm suit and am wondering what you dive with in warm water?

Thanks for any and all advice, its gonna be nice to peel off the thick suit and enjoy some warm water!!

Are they both full suits? If so, you should have your bases covered. If you find yourself chilled, you could put them both on.

Depends on how many dives a day I will be doing. I brought a .5m and 3mm to Little Cayman in July, which may have been a tad cooler than it will be in Curacao, and I wore mostly the 3mm. We did 3-4 dives a day. But I don't care to be cold in the water and also don't start diving here at home until it hits the high 60s.

I dive in waters of the 80-85 degree F range here in Thailand. I'm happiest in a 3mm full suit, and I generally put a rash guard under it for night dives, when I'm already chilled from the previous 3 dives of the day.

Agreed, if you're going to be doing multiple dives day after day, go with the 3mm. You can always let a bit of water in to cool off, but once you're chilled it's nearly impossible to warm up.

I dive mostly in Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia. However I love my Waterproof Lynx 5mm wetsuit. I even put on a hood just to keep myself warm and cosy. The hood also keep my long hair in place. It's better to feel warm than cold when you underwater especially long dive duration like 80-90 mins each dive in Lembeh Straits.

I am in Central East Florda and dive all the way down to the keys. I am a huge fan of skin diving with nothing from Lauderdale by the Sea south. I own a 3mm only. I tend to get colder on the 3rd dive of the day and will put the suit on then.

Wet Medic,

I dive here in Curacao almost daily. I have a 3/2 full and a 5m full. I wouldn't recommend a shorty just in case the jellyfish happen to be frisky. A 3/2 even at 4-5 dives a day will likely have you scooping your neck to cool off. Water temp yesterday was 83F. A .5 might get a little chilly if its cloudy on the beach and you are doing multiple dives a day.

Have a fun trip!
Jeff

I usually skin it in the summer too, except when there was moon jellies. I used my shorty then(they've got short tentacles). I don't like to wear my full suit unless I really have to. If there were man-o-war out, I'd probably use the full suit, their tentacles are long and wrap around things like legs and arms and their sting hurts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom