Warm Water Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to purchase an exposure suit for warm water diving, mostly caribbean water type temperatures (high 70's-low 80's). I have been doing some research on suits but have some questions:

What is a good thickness to go with; .5MM, 1MM, 2MM, or 3MM? I don't seem to have had a problem getting cold or chilled w/o a wetsuit in this environment.

Is 3MM too warm for this environment?

Any suggestions on brand or type of suit? I have been looking at the Henderson Microprene 1MM Jumpsuit, Akona 1MM Full Suit, Scubapro .5MM N2S Steamer, & the Mares Revolution 1MM Full Suit. I am leaning toward the Henderson because of all the good I have read but am open to any experienced recommendations. FYI, I have not been out to physically try any suit on yet.

I have not seen in my research but does Henderson make a Gold Core in anything thinner than a 3MM?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Doug

Welcome to the board Skinfish

I do most of my diving in Warm Water, so I purchased 2 suits for WWD.

For cooler temps you cannot go wrong with ths full 3MM suit. As you get deeper the suit will compress, giving you less thermal protection but that should be enough in 70-80 deg water.

For warmer temps (80+) I use a 3MM shorty. However, if I had it to do over I would get a 1MM full. No thermal protection at depth but good skin protection from the little things that go bite/sting.

Lastly, fit is the most imprtant thing to make the suit work properly. As you might have guessed I went with Mares, but only after I tried them on. My advice is to try whatever you like on and get the best fit.

My son used to use Henderson, but he said that they kept falling apart on him so he switched to Bare. He does a lot of diving though (2000 +).

Whatever you decide, good luck in your search.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

I've had both the Bare 3mil and a Henderson microprene 1.5 mil.
I did'nt like the fit of the Bare but love the Henderson. My experience was the opposite in durability - my Bare started falling apart after 6 dives but my Henderson is looking taddy now but is still holding up after 150+ dives.
My husband has the Henderson hyperstretch 3mil for tropical diving and is very comfortable.
My next suit will be the Henderson Hyperstretch (probably 3mil maybe even 5/3mil)
My thoughts are - better to be a bit warm than cold. You can always flush your suit if your hot but when your cold it ruins the dive.
Good luck!!

Doug:

Not the answer you are probally looking for, but it all depends on the diver. Everybody is a bit different, plus there are "just a few" variables:

Some folks are just "colder" than others. I will be the first to admit I am a cold weanie, and I'm usually the first to pull on something warmer.

How many dives a day? Do 4 dives per day and you'll be more chilled than 1 per day. This is simple physics; even 84 degree water is colder than your body temperature, and the more you expose yourself to it the more heat you lose. The same thing happens over several days of diving.

As so well pointed out by MaresMan, fit is important. A great fit reduces water circulation. A poor fit "pumps" water through the suit with every movement. It's just physics and heat loss. When I switched from an off-the-rack 3mm jumpsuit to a custom 3mm jumpsuit, I noticed an immediate increase in tolerance for cold.

Experience counts...and not to make you warmer! The more dives you log, the less you thrash around in the water, and the less body heat you generate. So you feel colder.

Generally, in warm water I do 4 dives a day over 3 days. In 70-74 degree water I wear a 3mm jumpsuit w/ core warmer & beanie;74-78 a 3mm jumpsuit and beanie; 78-82 3mm jumpsuit.

By the last day I have usually added a step, but then I get cold easily.

As I said up front, it all depends. I have been comfy in my 3mm jumpsuit and beanie, while others on the same dives were blissful with swimming trunks, and one gal said she would freeze without her 7mm jumpsuit.

You'll probally do what we all did, pick a starting point, dive it a while, then add or subtract protection.

All the best, James

henderson microprene is an outstanding suit for your expressed needs. I have about 75 dives on mine and it's still going strong. I even wear it under my 7mm Hyperstretch as added layer.

Thank you to all who responded for the advice from your own experiences. I will be heading to Cozumel in Late March and doing 2-3 dives a day. I am leaning towards the Henderson and since I will probably only have the opportunity once a year for warm water diving, I'm sure it will work very well for me.

I am planning some cold water diving here in Chicago/Lake Michigan and the surrounding areas this summer and will be looking at a 7MM for those dives. Any suggestions here are welcome as well!

Thanks again

Doug

skinfish:
I am planning some cold water diving here in Chicago/Lake Michigan and the surrounding areas this summer and will be looking at a 7MM for those dives. Any suggestions here are welcome as well!
Doug

DRYSUIT

Diving in Lake Mich is always cold :xyxnervou

Dive Smart;Dive Safe
:cool1:

I like the microprene also. Remember its REALLY stretchy so make sure you go down a size and keep it nice and tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom