Warm Water Booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okscuba98

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I dive mostly in the tropics. I was wondering what type of booties to go with my open heel fins. I was looking at the o'neill tropical dive boot. Ive seen people wearing chuck taylors with their dry suits which I thought was cool. My question: would it be OK to get some low cut neoprene socks with the low top chucks? Thanks for any advice/opinions

I would say just use a booty that is comfortable with the fin you are using.

If you really need the Chucks to fill out a huge fin pocket, use the high tops.

If you are buying new fins for the sake of using Chucks, I would not.

I have been using NRS' Kicker low top paddling shoes for years. Both the rubber sole and felt sole. I wear stretchy water socks with them . Low flotation, strong soles. You may need to sand down the edges of the soles to fit your fin's foot pockets. I also spray a little silicone lubricant on my fin's strap buckles and in the foot pockets.

The web address follows, the shoes are five or six down the page:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169

Whatever doesn't rub you the wrong way, and has enough sole for the entry. We bought the Seasoft Stealth for a Bonaire trip (lotsa rock/coral), and really liked them. I don't think we will use our DeepSee Safesoles again. My only complaint, for pretty much all wetsuit boots, is that with my EEEE width foot, I end up with a slightly longer boot than I would like to have. I find it more comfortable to wear a very thin polypro seamless sock underneath, especially if diving several consecutive days. If you want a low-top, the Sunray might be good. http://seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=SRB Or go with the Chucks and a 3mm wetsuit sock, if that fits your fins and feels good. I get cold feet (and everything else), so I wanted the thicker hightop Stealth boot.

I agree. If you need more support than the soft booties are giving you, get some hard soled booties. Leave the chucks to the drysuit crowd. Either way you may end up having to buy bigger fins, though. Bring your fins with your when you try on the various options to be sure they still fit.

I guess Im going to try the O'neill tropical low booty. I decided that putting on socks and then shoes would just be more of a hassle. I dont have fins yet, Im going to get some jetfins to fit over the size 11 oneill booties. Should I get Large or x large for the 11 booties?

okscuba98:
I guess Im going to try the O'neill tropical low booty. I decided that putting on socks and then shoes would just be more of a hassle. I dont have fins yet, Im going to get some jetfins to fit over the size 11 oneill booties. Should I get Large or x large for the 11 booties?
I wear 9-1/2 to 10 shoes. The size Large Jet fins are snug with a 3 mil to 5 mil soft sole booty.
You would probably be good with the XL. Then try it with different booties, both hard and soft sole. (then consider spring straps).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom