Warm water BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack R

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am wondering what my choices are for a nice warm water BC is these days. I haven't bought a bc in 15 years so I'm a bit out of the loop. Mine works fine but it's a bit torn and tattered. I have an old dacor camelion now and it is too big and bulky for what I now need.

I am looking for a streamlined bc that can be packed in a suitcase easily. My price range is about $300 give or take a few bucks. (the less the better of course)

I need at least one pocket and I dont want a bc with integrated weights. I am an amateur photographer and like to keep my weights on my body for better stability.

All of my diving is in Southern Florida - West Palm Beach drift diving and in the tropics.

Thanks for any help.

Jack. Being in West Palm I know it's a bit of a drive, but you should come to Jennie Springs on Saturday. They are having the swap meet starting @ 8am. There will be ALOT of good deals. There will be supplier there that you can try the stuff out in the sping to see if you like it.

Just a thought.

what i have won't fit your budget consideration, though, unless possibly a used set-up.

i dive a BP/Wing config. tank, lights, etc hug close to the body for real good streamlining.

for a pocket, i use a zippered pocket slipped on to my waist webbing - though what i put in there is a spool, slate and whistle. i could also squeeze in my mx5 in there.

there's chest d-rings if you have more elaborate photo equipment.

hope this helps.

I use a Transpac 2 with the travel wing. It works nice, but the lowest price on one would be about $350 from Leisurepro and add about $75 to buy from an authorized dealer.

There are all kinds of jackets on sale for under $300 everywhere.

Don't bother with Halcyon, their stuff starts at $500 for a system and discounts are hard to get. If you decide to go the backplate route, it probably can be done for $300 if you use an aluminum plate and a Diverite Trek wing.

You might want to look at a Zeagle Escape or Scout. Both of these pack extra compact. If purchased through Leisurepro or some other non authorized dealer, they will fit in your price range.

Look at the Zeagle Scout. Small, light weight, quality construction and fairly inexpensive, around $215 on line. It has a 35 lb bladder back bladder and an adjustable harness system. While it does have a sort of intergrated weight intergration system, 2 pockets on the the back located on each side of the tank, you don't have to use it or you can use it for trim weights. I use one for travel. www.zeagle.com

That looks pretty good. I see that it says "Reinforced 430 denier nylon"

What does that mean? I see it in all the description of BCs up to 1000. Is the higher the number the stronger it is?

It doesnt look like it has pockets.

been diving the tropics (philippines) since 78. I've dived in blue jeans and no BC, plastic backpack and horsecollar, jacket- and finally stainless steel back pack and wings (ss bp / wings).

i wholeheartedly recommend that you consider the ss bp option because:

1. you save on lead weight. tropical diving means thinner wetsuits hence less buoyancy to compensate for.

2. they're not as heavy as you think: the setup is just over 3 kg. and the ss bp has no inherent buoyancy at all.

conventional BCs weigh as mush or even less. you could be diving wihout a weight belt.

3. low drag, ease of diving, attitude, etc

whichever way you go make sure you make an informed decision and try all alternatives. 200 - 300 bucks is not loose change. Fred T, Halcyon, OMS, Dive Rite are all excellent brands. Heck even a competent machine shop can machine a bp if you have the plans.

finally, ss bp's aren't just for techs. i'm an OW rated diver and i use the ss bp simply because they work best for my kind of diving which is, at its extreme, simply rec diving that's a little more challenging than usual: drifts, 120 ft excursions . . . all within safe limits, natch.

K

Back
Top Bottom