Wanting to go streamlined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long hose works great for recreational diving too. Particularly the 5’ hose for open water, more streamlined (which the OP is after) than the 40” under arm in my opinion and gives better gas sharing options. The suggestion that the 40” can be used later for a pony bottle is a great idea for recreational diving below 80’, no? Perhaps mentioning the possibility of a deco/stage bottle got your back up? Maybe that was a bit “aggressive” of me to suggest, my apologies, I didn’t pay attention to the fact that it was a “basic” forum and the OP never mentioned an interest in going down that path. All my recreational diving was done using a BP/W (and incidentally a 7’ hose) long before I got into tech, so I appreciate that BP/Ws are an excellent choice even if one never plans to go into tech diving. I also appreciate that the 40” primary “works great” for many, but I find it too short for comfortable/optimal gas sharing. Just my opinion, you’re welcome to disagree.
I have never had to gas share in a real world situation, I find I have no need for those really long hoses, the tend to be more cumbersome for just normal diving rather than more streamlined but they have there place, if the OP ever finds himself needing one then switching is easy enough, for this application I think the 40” works well for most.

Why do you say this? For recreational diving, this configuration is more than adequate (BC or BP/W)... Who said anything regarding more advanced diving? This is the basic forum he asked the question in.......... Works great for them!

Enjoy!

I dive a 7' hose for everything, rec/tec/cave. Last year I had to assist an OOA diver, sure glad I had the 7' hose rather than a 40" primary, came coming up from a wreck in a 100' much more comfortable for all parties involved, including our safety stop.

Downside to diving with your primary under your arm is that when you deploy it, it is now stuck under your arm, try getting a 40" hose outside of your arm, with an OOA diver on the regulator. There is a thought process to all of this, not just "streamlining".

Or, think of it this way, the DIR/Hogarthian configuration is a recipe, not an ala carte menu, leave something out of the recipe and it does not "taste" as it should.

I have never had to gas share in a real world situation, I find I have no need for those really long hoses, the tend to be more cumbersome for just normal diving rather than more streamlined but they have there place, if the OP ever finds himself needing one then switching is easy enough, for this application I think the 40” works well for most.

1st, the 7' hose, when used properly is not more cumbersome for "normal diving" and (2), ever try to switch from a 40" hose to a 7' hose underwater when you "find [yourself] needing one...."

1st, the 7' hose, when used properly is not more cumbersome for "normal diving" and (2), ever try to switch from a 40" hose to a 7' hose underwater when you "find [yourself] needing one...."
If I had anymore I would gladly send them to you but I’ve already disposed of them.

If I had anymore I would gladly send them to you but I’ve already disposed of them.
It is similar to the trend we use to see when posters would ask about pony bottles and others would jump on the band wagon for doubles with recreational diving.

It is similar to the trend we use to see when posters would ask about pony bottles and others would jump on the band wagon for doubles with recreational diving.
Yea, they all have their place, we tend to overwhelm new divers sometimes trying to get them to jump steps in the learning process conveying our experiences.

So, quick question...
I am wanting to transition into a backplate and wing setup. But I have a dive coming up before I can purchase one. Since I need to pick up a new reg hose for this dive, Would it be ok if I went ahead and setup my regs with my primary on a 40" with an elbow, and my octo on an 22" with a necklace, while I am still running my Zeagle Ranger?? Or should I wait until I get my BP?
I just don't want to look like an idiot. I thought it would be a great time to try a "new" system since I will only be diving shallow....Alexander Springs, Ginnie Springs.

Thanks folks!
Ken

Just go with a DIR setup:

• 1 1st stage regulator
  • 2 2nd stage regulators
  • 1 submersible pressure gauge (spg)
  • 1 5-7' LP primary regulator hose (7' for technical or overheard diving)
  • 1 22-24" LP backup/secondary regulator hose
  • 1 26" HP SPG hose
  • 1 appropriate length low pressure inflator (lpi) hose
  • 1 appropriate length drysuit inflator hose
Get rid of the elbows (and likewise other failure points).

I just put a 40" on my pony and wear that reg on a necklace. I had to mount the pony on the right side due to cambands. Works quite well and I figure if need be I could release the pony to an oog diver (as long as they're not freaking while on my octo) which gives us both plenty of space for an ascent........

Back
Top Bottom