Wanted: Rescue divers and above wanted for work.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also that little detail about the Longshore Harbor Worker's Compensation Act for "navigable waters."

so let me get this straight.........what we're doing is illegal and you are going to call the legitimate production companies and rat on us ?????? Sorry to tell ya, but it's our choice, we can be considered as independent contractors or employees. They are totally legitimate companies. Bottom line, if you're not interested. don't respond.

tardmaster: Not to cool your ardor, but:

1. It is rather unlikely that any of the folks you "hire" would, in fact, qualify as "contractors," they would most likely be considered employees by any of the authorities out there.
  2. They would be commercial divers and as such subject to the OSHA Commercial Diving rules and regulations.
  3. The production companies, if legitimate, would be most unhappy to find out that you were operating outside of the law and without the proper credentials and insurances.

so let me get this straight.........what we're doing is illegal and you are going to call the legitimate production companies and rat on us ?????? Sorry to tell ya, but it's our choice, we can be considered as independent contractors or employees. They are totally legitimate companies. Bottom line, if you're not interested. don't respond.

Dude, you joined SB in 2008 but appear to not have been too active - Thal is one of the nicer people on SB and nothing in his response should have been offensive to you.

I hate to tell you now, but that's not the way it works, it is not your choice and the determination of independent contractor status is not a hat that you put on or take off at your convenience. There are a number of tests that are applied to determine that status, and it appears to me that you fail them all. The bottom line is that when you misrepresent yourself and you put individuals who are ill-equipped and ill-qualified into potentially dangerous situations you do a great disservice to several diving communities and you make it more difficult for legitimate companies and individuals, who operate within the rules and guidelines to make a living by undercutting the prices they have to charge. It is unlikely that I'd go out of my way to "report" you, but I will take every opportunity to point out the myriad problems with what you are doing, since you are basically taking advantage of inexperienced and unsophisticated diving "pros" and are putting them into circumstances that they are in no way prepared for, thus endangering both them and those that they are supposed to be taking care of.

But mark my words, when you start trying to parlay your status at the aquarium into the sale of scientific diving services, then I will come looking for you, because then you are fouling the place where I live.

if i misread your post....i sincerely apologize. nobody is trying to take advantage pro or non-pro. pm sent. would like to continue. the conversation.

I hate to tell you now, but that's not the way it works, it is not your choice and the determination of independent contractor status is not a hat that you put on or take off at your convenience. There are a number of tests that are applied to determine that status, and it appears to me that you fail them all. The bottom line is that when you misrepresent yourself and you put individuals who are ill-equipped and ill-qualified into potentially dangerous situations you do a great disservice to several diving communities and you make it more difficult for legitimate companies and individuals, who operate within the rules and guidelines to make a living by undercutting the prices they have to charge. It is unlikely that I'd go out of my way to "report" you, but I will take every opportunity to point out the myriad problems with what you are doing, since you are basically taking advantage of inexperienced and unsophisticated diving "pros" and are putting them into circumstances that they are in no way prepared for, thus endangering both them and those that they are supposed to be taking care of.

But mark my words, when you start trying to parlay your status at the aquarium into the sale of scientific diving services, then I will come looking for you, because then you are fouling the place where I live.

if i misread your post....i sincerely apologize. nobody is trying to take advantage pro or non-pro. pm sent. would like to continue. the conversation.
I too am sorry if my post was misunderstood. I appreciate the time that we had on the phone to clarify things.

I too appreciated the conversation. Thank you allowing me to apologize over the phone and thank you for your knowledge, experience and advice.

I too am sorry if my post was misunderstood. I appreciate the time that we had on the phone to clarify things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom