Wanted: Filipino Version(s) of ScubaKevDM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
It's official... I'll be diving the Philippines! :yeahbaby:

Initially, my plan was to scour through past threads and search out the best dive sites, create a rough itinerary and post it here for the experts to critique.

Unfortunately, with so many good dive sites in the Philippines, that task seemed rather daunting. Coupled with the fact that my newbie nervousness outweighs the need to see certain creatures.

So here's what I'm looking for...

As the thread title states -- a Filipino version of Scubakevdm. Or two. Dive ops that are small, professional and can supply a dive guide/buddy-for-hire for a reasonable fee. (I'm not comfortable with the idea of *instabuddies* at this stage in my diving.)

Also, accommodation that is reasonably priced since I'm travelling alone. Preferably somewhere with nice beaches nearby and off the beaten track. Nightlife isn't really a consideration. (The less tourists, the better.)

Some other pertinent information...

- The plan is to come sometime during February or March for two weeks -- perhaps two different places -- one week in each. I have a budget of $2500 - $3000 CDN. (If I could do the trip for less, I'd be most happy.:D)

- I only have OW at this stage, so I won't be doing any night dives or deep dives during this trip.

- I have all my own gear so quality rental gear isn't a consideration but DIN tanks would be nice. Boat dives are preferred.

- I'm not looking to see anything in particular -- big fish, little fish... it'll all be appreciated! As I've only dived in Florida, Cuba and Vancouver to date, a tin of tuna could float by me underwater and I'd be ecstatic. :wink:

Any suggestions? Please post or PM. Your help in planning my first overseas dive trip is greatly appreciated! :)

PM Maggie, Rhadamantus is her handle here...she might be able to help you put an itinerary together.

how about diving with the gang? :D they have an IT already

some will be in sogod (for some whalesharks) and cabilao:

I know there's another thread, but pretty hi-jacked by now.

Here's the itinerary for Chip and myself: -

Friday Feb 22: Manila - Tacloban flight. Land transfer to Sogod. Sogud PM diving
Saturday 23rd: Sogud General Diving (4 dives)
Sunday 24th: Sogud Whalesharks
Monday 25th: Sogud Whalesharks
Tuesday 26th: Sogud general diving. Land transfer to Hilongos. Take 10:30pm ferry from Hilongos to Cebu City. Arrive Cebu City 1:30am. Late check into hotel.
Wednesday 27th: Take 8am ferry from Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol. Polaris transfer to Cabilao. Check in to Polaris. Cabilao diving.
Thursday 28th: Cabilao diving
Friday 29th: Cabilao diving
Saturday 1st: Cabilao diving. Check out Cabilao, check in Bohol.
Sunday 2nd: – Chip & Larry fly out of Tagbilaran 2pm.

I believe hotels etc. are all sorted out, but if anyone needs to clarify what's happening, feel free to ask here...

some will be in general santos:

Got my marathon sked: GENSAN FEB 24!!!! SUMMER!!!! perfect diving weather!!!!

i'm making arrangements with paul to dive on the 23rd (saturday)... i can probably do 3 dives since i plan to have milo fly my in the day before (the 22th)

so who wants to try gensan? it's fantastic diving... and this is considering it was dusk and my light is relatively dinky...

Jag

then end your trip in puerto galera.

how about that? :)

Anna,

I would recommend Marco at the Atlantis Resort in Dumaguete...Very small, but nice property. Marco must have the patience of Job. We were there in Nov of 2005 with a large-ish group from SoCal and Marco spent the entire trip with one member of our group, an older lady with MS and a very nasty attitude...He did everything for her with a big smile on his face. I can't imagine a nicer DM. I'm sure you wouldn't be any trouble compared to her. I really enjoyed my stay at Atlantis and hope to go back this year. You should look into it!

PS...there is no replacing the original...Kev is one of a kind :wink:

A picture of Marco and the lovely girls from the restaurant!
IMG_1504.jpg

There you go again Anna! Of course I thought you were looking for a man, rather than a dive op. Better take advantage of those strong loonies before we retake our advantage! By the way, I've been getting more and more interested in the Philippines but still need to do the Red Sea and South America first.

two different places -- one week in each. I have a budget of $2500 - $3000 CDN. (If I could do the trip for less, I'd be most happy.:D)

Awesome that you're going to the PI - you're gonna have a blast. :) Just wondering, is that including the ticket or how much you want to spend once you get there?

edit: cause $2500 is plenty enough without the ticket. Heck, including a ticket $1500 is plenty enough as well.

ANNASEA;
Almost any dive shop can supply a 1-0n-1 dive guide. Sometimes you will have to pay extra, but I think you are looking for this without paying extra. Some of the smaller shops can accomodate you in this respect. My wife and I dove with Action divers in Puerto Glaera 2005 and were often the only ones with the dive guide/divemaster. You often can find help in arranging accomodations if you contact the dive shop ahead of time, sometimes a package deal can be arranged.
My wife and I are going to Cebu in Feb. 2008 and will be diving with scubaworld, if you have the time to come down. Feb. 9-16.

BTW DIN is hard to come by around there... bring a yoke adapter
i think the more established shops have those valves where you can unscrew the yoke part of the valve and it turns into a DIN adapter...

that or i just don't know better... saw it once though... really did...

@anna: wow... 2 weeks... so many choices... hmmmmm... well 1st of all you are more than welcome to join any of us on our trips... if that doesn't coincide, you can try Puerto Galera for the sheer range and variety... then hop to bohol since the experience you'll get in PG should make you ready for the walls and drifts of bohol, cabilao and that area...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom