Wanted: Dacor multi-tool for removing/installing 2nd stage lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how difficult/how much work it would be to mock one up with files out of round stock mild steel or aluminum of approximately the correct diameter.

A length of 1/2-inch diameter x 36-inch, round, aluminum bar stock is approx $11 at Home depot. I suppose I can chuck it in a drill and use sandpaper to bring the nominal diameter down to 10.4mm and then use a dremel/file to create the channel between the protruding tangs. I could use my drillpress to drill a hole through the stock to accept a 4-inch nail for the cross-handle.

My only issue is that I don't have a 2nd stage that I need this for so I am reluctant to spend the money (even though its not a lot) just for proof of concept.

-Z

I wonder how difficult/how much work it would be to mock one up with files out of round stock mild steel or aluminum of approximately the correct diameter.

If I can find a length of aluminum round stock cheap enough at a hardware store or Home Depot I may try my hand at it.

-Z
I would start with aluminum square stock about 3 inches long. Chuck it in a drill and use files against it to round the right length of it and set the diameter (leaves the necessary step where it stays square). Then Dremel out most of the notch at the tip, fine tuning with a file. Drill a hole for a cross bar and Bob's your uncle. I just threw the 3d printer at it because it's my default approach!

The ears are necessary to rotate the square shank of the poppet shaft, to also rotate the tensioning base for the spring inside the barrel (red arrow).
IMG_20221028_174452.jpg

While you can do it with the slotted end, it's much harder to compress the spring while turning the shaft if you're doing it from both ends at the same time.
IMG_20221028_175002.jpg

Pretty cool - putting the nut inside the barrel to have two ways to tension the spring. I'm sorry Dacor is gone. They might have given SP a run for their money. Then again, they might just have been another Sherwood: terrifically inventive, but unappreciated.

Back
Top Bottom