Wanted: Dacor multi-tool for removing/installing 2nd stage lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A Dacor regulator was donated to me to tinker with. I broke the second stage lever arm when reinserting it into the barrel and poppet. The service manual says:

Use multi-tool to depress valve seat carrier. The lever will now be loose. Remove lever by freeing one side at a time from the valve seat carrier housing. Release multi-tool slowly because of the spring tension released by removal of the lever.

and:

Install Venturamatic lever as follows: Hold the bottom box assembly in the palm of the left hand grasping the crossbar of the multi-tool together as far as it will go. With the right hand insert the ends of the lever one at a time into the square broached holes on the side of the carrier chamber. Release the tool. Lever will now be in an up right position.

I don't have the multi-tool, so I used a wooden dowel instead. I inserted it in the barrel and pressed down to release spring tension. This worked fine when removing the lever, but did not work well when inserting it back on. It was tricky holding the poppet in just the correct position so the lever feet would slide in.

1. Does anyone have a Dacor multi-tool they'd be willing to sell me?
  2. If not, does anyone know what that tool looked like? Perhaps I can imitate it.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 70
  2. If not, does anyone know what that tool looked like? Perhaps I can imitate it.
Here is a drawing of the tool (circled in red) from a Dacor 2nd stage manual.

1664078650124.png

Perhaps one of the following would fit or could be modified to fit?:

1664080255761.png

or
1664080322168.png

-Z

I hate that I'm probably going to model this up to print in ABS....
First thing you have to do is covert those sillymeter measurements to inches. :)

The end can be flat...and should be on a plastic one, the tabs on the end are for holding the LP seat when you are installing the nut that holds it in but are not used for holding the LP holder in place while installing the lever. The issue I see with adding them in plastic is they are likely to be broken off and possibly remain in the reg, not a good thing. If it is to be used for holding the LP seat and installing the nut, it should be made of of metal to avoid breaking off the tabs.

First thing you have to do is covert those sillymeter measurements to inches. :)
As much as it hurts your American Machinist soul, I usually design in metric.... just simpler for me in my self taught weirdness. I can work in either, and do, but it's usually metric for design work... then imperial for operation..... weird as all hell, but it is what it is!

Fractional inches….blahhh….so un-intuitive.

-Z

A Dacor regulator was donated to me to tinker with. I broke the second stage lever arm when reinserting it into the barrel and poppet. The service manual says:

and:

I don't have the multi-tool, so I used a wooden dowel instead. I inserted it in the barrel and pressed down to release spring tension. This worked fine when removing the lever, but did not work well when inserting it back on. It was tricky holding the poppet in just the correct position so the lever feet would slide in.

My first cut at making it in plastic is printing now. Against Herman's recommendation, I did include the tabs.... But worst case they can be cut off. I'm printing it at an orientation to maximize the strength of the tabs.... even at that I don't think I would use it as a disassembly tool (with potential corrosion making the nut stuck), but I hope it will be fine for installation work.

Respectfully,

James

Sorry on the delay, was out of town for a bit. Looks like it should do the job. Quick check (on an Olympic 400 that I haven't gone through yet) seems to confirm Herman's concerns about the tabs being not strong enough in plastic... no idea if freshly cleaned it would be good for installation or not. But it definitely properly places the poppet for lever installation.
Tool:
IMG_20221012_084653950.jpg
Inserted with no pressure (note gap between lip on tool and the inlet opening):
IMG_20221012_084707229.jpg
Pressure applied (Lip on tool pressed flat to the inlet opening):
IMG_20221012_084711911.jpg
STL file attached in case anyone wants to print one, or I can run one off and send it (unless shipping is prohibitive). Use with care, and if concerned the tabs will break off just cut them off flush with a razor knife. Printed in PLA+.

Respectfully,

James

Attachments

• Multitool-Body.stl
    937.7 KB · Views: 72
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom