Wanted - 12 Panhandle divers for a new subforum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define wading please, the forum has moved one page today... Just look down a bit and all the important threads are found. The Trips subforum moves even slower. There is no wading, nothing is lost, its all right infront of your face :wink:

Panhandle dive threads are started in the Dixie Diver forum because whatever Dixie Diver started it wanted to discuss it there with locals(to their residence) instead of with people who live in the area of the dive itself.

My name was put on the list because at one time, subforums seemed like they were going to be put into place regardless of whether we wanted them or not - if thats the case, the panhandle needed representation. At the moment, everything is unified and I'd preffer that. Take my name off if there is any confusion :D

mike_s:
I still think many of us would still like to have a specific forum to go to to find dives in the Panhandle area and not have to "wade" through all the other Florida threads.

For example, most Panhandle divers aren't interested in the "what's the water temp in Key Largo" threads when the are 700 miles away.

This is one of the reasons that half the Panhandle diving threads are actually started in Deep Dixie Divers instead, to avoid the issues encountered in the past with the FL Forum.

So far 36 people have added their names to the list that they are interested in this. That greatly surpasses the 12 required. So an interest has been show for sure.

I think this might require a full fledged forum like Rick proposed (Lower Alabama). Are we ready for that yet? I think, from a functional standpoint, a forum for this area would actually fit how dives are being made. Is there enough traffic - probably (especially if we pattern after what NetDoc said the original conch forum was like). Are we emotionally ready for a new forum - probably not. We are just getting over a restructure so giving that time to settle in before going on would be my guess as the best course (YMMV). I'd love not to be looking back and forth between Deep Dixie and Florida to find all my dive buddies and areas that I dive in but that would be for me. What would be best for the majority is what drove the restructure and if it made sense for the majority to build a Lower Alabama forum I would be for it.

A lower Alabama(including FL panhandle) subforum would be more convenient for me as well. Although, I'm not sure the rest of FL would allow that to take place - LOL.

SuPrBuGmAn:
A lower Alabama(including FL panhandle) subforum would be more convenient for me as well. Although, I'm not sure the rest of FL would allow that to take place - LOL.
That's why I said we were not emotionally ready :D.

I do agree with this.

Take the FL Panhandle, the Alabama and MIssissipi panhandles (or "nubs") and combine them.

Yeah Florida might not like it... big deal. Move that sub-forum to Deep Dixie Divers.

I think Rick's intention, and I believe SeaYoda's following, would be to turn that section into a standalone Regional forum, not a subforum. It would have enough traffic to warrant its own region between the MS, AL, FL Panhandle Gulf and panhandle springs.

This would knock Dixie Diver traffic down quite a bit though, restricting dives in that area to mostly lakes, quarries, and a couple East Coast sites. Not that the Dixie Diver forum is a fast mover to begin with...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom