Want to switch SubaPro KnightHawk from Air2 back to standard inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greenbriel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a used KnightHawk right here on SB (thanks ScubaSwede!). I love it, but I would like to convert the Air2 that it came with back to the standard inflator, and I can't find much information about how to do it on the web. Do I need to replace the entire unit including the dump at the shoulder, or the hose and everything south of that, or just the second stage/inflator unit at the end?

Any idea where I can get the parts, and how DIY is this job? :idk:

Any help much appreciated.

A picture would help. Is it a real AIR2 or a copy?

The AIR2 LP hose (from the 1st stage reg) will have to be exchanged for a standard inflator hose and the air 2 for an standard inflator. You don't need to change the hose leading from the pull dump valve to the inflator.

Parts? Scubatoys.com or Leisurepro.com

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMSPowerInflator

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LPInflatorHose

DIY? Mechanically its not complicated. I do this swap occasionally but keep in mind this is life support equipment and if you don't already have a SCUBA toolkit with the correct tools I recommend you buy one if you intend to service your own gear. Using for example the wrong lubricant on o-rings will cause them to fail. I mention this because the o-ring on the new hose will be dry and will need silicon grease. There are a handful of overlooked specific tools and rules for servicing dive gear that you may not have. If you intend to regularly repair your own gear then its time to start the tool collection. If not? Ask your LDS to swap the hose when you get your next fill or buy the parts for them.

Last edited:
but keep in mind this is life support equipment
How is a buoyancy compensator "life support equipment"?

Just remove tha clamp and install the power inflator and re-clamp. The lp inflator hose will need swapping as well. Even a caveman can do it.

Us neanderthals resent those kinds of remarks dude. As others have said it is not a big deal. I would only caution to also pay attention to the diameter of the corrugated hose when doing the swap. Not real familiar with the scubapro hose but I have seen enough to know that some of them are different diameters. Nice thing about getting a replacement from scubatoys is if is the wrong one it'll be easy to return and get the right one or a refund. I'd think about replacing the whole thing myself with just a plain elbow. And yeah the lifesupport thing is a bit over the top on this. Unless you overweight yourself and the new hose just falls off when you touch it. Otherwise you should be able to just swim the whole thing up.

I bought a used KnightHawk right here on SB (thanks ScubaSwede!). I love it, but I would like to convert the Air2 that it came with back to the standard inflator, and I can't find much information about how to do it on the web. Do I need to replace the entire unit including the dump at the shoulder, or the hose and everything south of that, or just the second stage/inflator unit at the end?

Any idea where I can get the parts, and how DIY is this job? :idk:

Any help much appreciated.

Before you spend good money after bad, it's obvious that you don't care for the Air2 setup. No biggie. I presume that you've already gotten a regular octo?

Then just leave the Air2 in place and only use it as a power inflator. Why buy a power inflator to replace the one that you already have?

As far as swapping out LP/HP hoses is something that an LDS should do...I say horse pucky.

If you don't know what sort of silicone is needed for the O-ring then go to the LDS and ask for some. Hell, go on the intraweb (via Scubaboard) and ask for advices on silicone and then go buy some either at LDS or online.

You don't need a "special" scuba tool to unscrew the hoses. Any wrenches that fit will do just fine. The wrenches that come with those "scuba tools" aren't exactly Snap-On quality tools either.

Let's not overcomplicate things here. It's not like the OP wanted to break open the first stage or second stage. Even then it still ain't no genius work.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info folks, what a great forum. Fnfalman, I do have an octo, and considered doing that, and I don't really have a great reason for not leaving the thing on there other than I don't like the fact that if I have reg issues on a trip I will be SOL because the connectors on rental regs likely won't fit (I know there are adapter but they cost almost as much as an inflator)

Jim Lapenta:when you say "elbow" do you just mean a simple inflator like the OMS one at the link that was graciously provided above?

It sounds like a job that I can and will attempt myself, and I'll have the guys at my great LDS check it afterwards. I think I will wait until after my Cozumel trip early December just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom