Want to make PADI open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4bigfoot

New
Reaction score
Hi,
i will be in Philippines in november and want to make PADI OWD.
Probably in Manila / Anilao/ Puerto Galera.
Can you give me some advises or even contacts of instructors?

4bigfoot - WELCOME TO PPD!
You are really asking for something that could take a long time to answer. A little research. on your part, with GOOGLE would help you tremendously. To help you we need to know a fews things about you. What language do you prefer, what sort of hotel do you like, what beach or non-diving activities do you like. So, what are you looking for in you dive training destination?

4bigfoot, if you have an ok internet connection you might wanna consider a dive-center which offers e-learning, this way you are able to get all the academic stuff out of the way before you hit the PI and do the wate-work here. that way you get most out of your vacation without studying too much.

cheers

Rhoody

Babydamulag is correct. The people in this forum are quite helpful and I'm sure once your tell us more, the advice/tips will flood in.
Things like how long are you staying in the PI, do you have any non-divers staying with you, do you prefer topside sightseeing/shoping/tours/party/or quiet? Private instruction or group, 5*****, or budget.
Good luck, you will have a wonderful time in the PI. (Diving & everything else)

You are right guys, i will write about my plans.

I am backpacker (26) from Europe, going to Philippines for 2 weeks in november.
I will travel alone.
I want to do PADI to dive later in different countries.
I am looking for some cheap price, but good quality :)
It can be group, doesn't matter. I think that i will stay in cheap hostels (anyway i will only sleep there).
I have plans to visit Boracay and Palawan, but lately i found informatiopn that beaches in Puerto Galera are same nice as Boracay and diving is defenately better. So probably i need to change Boracay on Puerto Galera.

GOOLGE is a good solution, but i am sure that alot good instructors have no own web page.

Why Anilao, i found that cheapest price and nice diving spots are there :)

So i have 2 weeks, one week i will spend on Palawan and another to do Padi (+ take sun and discover culture)

4bigfoot, first of all I will say that it seems you are into a quite ambitious project, with only one week for completion of the course. It is possible to do but you have to consider the possibility of down time as November is still the season for bad weather (can be very bad indeed) in the Philippines.

I know you are not asking for Cebu but anyway here is what I did.

I just recently completed my OW course in Moalboal, Cebu with Savedra Dive Center, that’s a good and professional outfit.
I did a scuba referral completing the confined water dives and the knowledge development in Aberdeen UK, and then completed the 4 open water dives over 3 days in Moalboal.
I rented a nippa hut for $12 a day through Savedra next to the dive centre, if you want a British Instructor then ask for Abraham Borg he is a good guy.
You have to be aware that your open water dives at Moalboal will all be wall dives, which are quite easy but at the same time can be stressful, especially where the wall points inwards.

As others have mentioned you should consider completing the academic stuff up front if possible or at least be well prepared as you will have to complete a total of 100 questions with a pass rate of 70.

Cheers,

Scubajo007

4bigfoot;
Take your classroom lessons locally where you live, then get a letter of endorsement to do your open water dives in the Philippines. This is what my wife did for 2005. There will be less stress on you, and you'll enjoy your dives more.
As far as price,most offer their services for around the same price. The laws of necessity in place here. Anilao, and Puerto Galera are the top areas for diving in the Philippines. Mostly because both are a 2 hour drive south of Manila. Lodging prices can vary with each 'resort', and the amenities. Your Iternet search can provide you with a dive shop, and 'resort' to stay at. My search for 2005 put us in Puerto Galera.
You can search my past postings for some of these offerings, and connections.
Your in for a great time!! :D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom