Want to go pro. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel26

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Before someone tell me this is the wrong place to post the thread i cant do it in the going pro. .

I am looking to do a year long I.D.C course. . I would just like to know from other pro's and instructors if there are work out there. . Is there anything or any course/s that i can maybe do extra to be more of an assit to a dive shop or charter? ? I have been told already that one don't earn alot, but just aslong as i can survive and do what I love and makes me happy then it is cool with me. .

Any information will be gladly appreciated. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I agree.... DIVE. DIVE. DIVE. DIVE. DIVE. DIVE. DIVE!

Wherever possible, take responsibility for leading dives, planning dives and expeditions. Look after and advise less experienced divers.

Increase your knowledge and experience base wherever possible. Don't be close-minded and don't get arrogant. Dive in different locations. Dive with different equipment. Night dive. Current dive. Wreck dive. Low Viz dive. Nitrox dive... etc etc etc. Even getting some tech diving training and knowledge will help develop you...

In terms of supplementary courses, that will add to your employability, you can consider the following (in order of usefullness):

1) Language training. More languages equals more work, especially within multi-national tourist locations.

2) Maintenance Technician training, to maintain and repair dive equipment and compressors. Look into training courses with primary gear manufacturers (aqua-lung, sherwood, scubapro, apeks etc) and with compressor brands (i,e, Bauer or Coltrisub). These qualifications will both help you secure work...or you can earn extra by doing repairs/servicing for customers directly.

3) Sales training. Earning a living as a dive instructor can rely on 'making your own work'. Gaining new clients/students, selling existing students onto further courses and also earning commission by selling equipment to students and customers.

4) Tech diving. If you can make a name as a good tech instructor, then these courses attract premium prices/salaries.

I would just like to know from other pro's and instructors if there are work out there. . Is there anything or any course/s that i can maybe do extra to be more of an assit to a dive shop or charter?

What are your other interests? How much are you interested in investing?

Get yourself to an expert level in marine animal identification.

Work your butt off while diving, diving and diving to become a very good photographer or videographer. Invest in the best gear here you can afford without going into debt, and learn to use it at an expert level.

Take classes from PSI on tank maintenance and inspection.

Go to DEMA and try to get into some equipment courses offered by manufacturers.

Become a certified mechanic.

Do you have any retail experience? Particular as a store manager or assistant manager?

Are you a web designer? Build a portfolio of internet sites you can use to demonstrate your work.

I do have a business management sertificate and assistent manager experience. . My pasion is diving. . I have all my gear, just short the computer, but have a dive watch in the mean while. . Will it be any use if I have a skipper lisence maybe? ?

Before someone tell me this is the wrong place to post the thread i cant do it in the going pro. .

I am looking to do a year long I.D.C course. . I would just like to know from other pro's and instructors if there are work out there. . Is there anything or any course/s that i can maybe do extra to be more of an assit to a dive shop or charter? ? I have been told already that one don't earn alot, but just aslong as i can survive and do what I love and makes me happy then it is cool with me. .

Any information will be gladly appreciated. .

Why? *edit* With under 50 dives, according to your profile, what's the rush to go pro?

Peace,
Greg

Because that is what I've want to do for the last 5years. . I believe God made me to teach people to dive and show them the world He created down there for us. .

Yeah, take your time. I did Rescue with just over the required 20 dives and felt it was too soon. When you're ready ask your LDS for a reference so you can join the Going Pro sub forum. I found it invaluable.

I'd also stress the importance of taking your time. If your LDS allows DMs to do DM work, consider taking your DM class with the plan of spending a year or more working with different classes every week to get yourself some experience with handling students. In the meantime, spend every minute of your spare time diving in as wide a variety of conditions as you can for fun.

Being a good instructor is a lot more about attitude and desire to teach than about having perfect dive skills and so many dives under the belt. But you do have to have the experience basis on which to build. There is no some magic number of dives beyond which you can be a good instructor. There is a point, however, when you start to realize how much you don't know, and how your limitations impact your ability to safely instruct students.

I firmly believe that until someone has worked with hundreds of students as a hands on dive master, they aren't going to be ready to function as an independent instructor. And even with that background, getting hundreds of more students worked with as a co-instructor working with a mentor is a good idea.

I don't have the option of being a year a D.M for a year, as i live over
400 kilometers (250miles ) from the coast. . The course though is 4months
hands on D.M experience, and I geuss its better then nothing. . Or so I hope. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom