Want to do the rescue diver in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As one of the principals in a Pattaya dive shop, I wanted to share my opinion regarding pricing and discounts. My partners' opinion might differ, but I don't think by much.

My first rule is that discounts are given when deserved, and that usually means they are given only to good customers. It's a two-way street. You help us, we help you.

That means if you come in with a couple of people, buy more than 1 course/trip, buy some gear to go with your diving, or have some sort of combo of courses/materials/trips/gear, then, sure, we're going to be pretty generous.

If you come in out of the blue, make it obvious the only commitment you have is to one purchase and only to the shop most willing to undercut others by the largest amount, then you're going to find me less than receptive to haggling.

Pattaya dive shops historically have worked together to stay away from the price wars elsewhere that have resulted in 6,000 baht, 2-day Open Water courses. Recently all the major shops here raised prices for day trips in unison to offset the incredible rise in fuel costs. It was the first increase in 3+ years, by the way.

Most shops also have comparable prices for courses. Open Water runs ranges from 14,000-16,500 baht including materials. Advanced ranges only from 12,000-14,500. I haven't surveyed Rescues recently, but I think most people here are disciplined enough to keep prices in a range where they are fair to the customer and help sustain a safe and competant dive center.

Slashing prices helps no one, INCLUDING the customer. In diving, as in anything else, you DO get what you pay for.

Here at Aquanauts, we charge 12,000 baht (and have for 3+ years). The book is 2,100 baht (below PADI recommended retail, by the way.) For that, you get 3 days of training, local pickup/return service, a freshly cooked, multi-course lunch, soft drinks (no extra charge, equipment rental (if needed) and your certification. You do the theory in a modern, well-equipped classroom with up-to-date materials. You dive on our own, non-shared boat with instructors we trained ourselves.

And, as for the training, we take Rescues very seriously, as they are a huge part of our instructor training program. Month in and month out, our IE candidates score 5/5 on rescue on the Instructor Exams. During DM training, we drill them repeatedly, having them perform rescues in an annotated fashiion, calling out each step to increase memory retention. On the just completed IE, in fact, the Mermaid's Course Director was evaluating our candidates for Rescue (examiner was short-staffed) and my partner told him that if any of our guys didn't have the pocket mask on the "victim" in 10 seconds they should be failed.

It was a joke, of course, but pretty much what we expect of all our rescue students.

So, sure, you can hammer on people and pit one shop against the other to get the ultimate low price. Or you can place the emphasis on where it properly belongs, being the quality of training and facilities, the customer service, the the boat, the upkeep of the tanks and gear, the number of Thai staff on hand to assist you and the overall enjoyment of the experience.

Normaly I don't agree with your posting, but I was once on your boat and I need to agree that your service is very good.

I think a 2 days OW is violating PADIs rules and should be reported. Usually the Rescue Diver is 2 days (if learning the book and DVD at home, I have both the book and the DVD) everywhere I asked.

Can you give me details what is done at the 3 days of RD?

I don't always agree with the Aquanauts posts on the board, but this is IMO an excellent post.

My sentiments exactly.

I've never been a supporter of cut-throat course prices, because I believe that to enable someone to deliver a quality job, that someone needs to be given the means to do so, i.e. the customer needs to pay him in such a way, that he doesn't have to cut corners to make some money, but can afford to invest the time and resources it takes, to get the job done properly. Ofcourse, paying a decent price for the course does not guarantee that I, as a customer, will receive good training, but at least it stacks the odds in my favour.

Ofcourse I take advantage of rebates/special offers, if made available, however, I don't dive with the cheapest ops, nor would I pick a course, based on lowest price alone.

My sentiments exactly.

I've never been a supporter of cut-throat course prices, because I believe that to enable someone to deliver a quality job, that someone needs to be given the means to do so, i.e. the customer needs to pay him in such a way, that he doesn't have to cut corners to make some money, but can afford to invest the time and resources it takes, to get the job done properly. Ofcourse, paying a decent price for the course does not guarantee that I, as a customer, will receive good training, but at least it stacks the odds in my favour.

Ofcourse I take advantage of rebates/special offers, if made available, however, I don't dive with the cheapest ops, nor would I pick a course, based on lowest price alone.

For example the usual price of a day trip in pattaya. is around 2500 Baht. I got 5 day trips for 4500 baht. (can scan in the invoice if anyone does not believe that) from "dive site asia".
I sit in the same boat, eat the same food and breath the same air as the 2500 Baht customer.
Considering: they pay for 2 trips more than I for 5 trips
Considering 2: Also with my price of 900 I think they'll still make profit.

Another operator (not Pattaya) offers 2500 per daytrip. 1500 for local people (incl. long stay farangs)

So i think there is no reason to worry that the operators will starve due to the low prices.

For example the usual price of a day trip in pattaya. is around 2500 Baht. I got 5 day trips for 4500 baht. (can scan in the invoice if anyone does not believe that) from "dive site asia".
I sit in the same boat, eat the same food and breath the same air as the 2500 Baht customer.
Considering: they pay for 2 trips more than I for 5 trips
Considering 2: Also with my price of 900 I think they'll still make profit.

Another operator (not Pattaya) offers 2500 per daytrip. 1500 for local people (incl. long stay farangs)

So i think there is no reason to worry that the operators will starve due to the low prices.

I don't see, how a promotional package price proves anything about what kind of income is profitable or at least sufficient to keep the operation running on a long term basis and with decent quality, and which one's not.

h90,

I think most disagree with your finding the cheapest price approach. As stated previously, have you met people while diving on Pattaya boats that can give you a referral? Look for a "competitive" rate with an instructor your comfortable with. Even if the PADI process provides some consistency through the IDC and IE taken by all instructors, teaching styles differ.

I to agree with the Aquanauts post regarding relationships. I run a scuba club and found a good operation that is really trying to work with me.

AZ

H90, the 3 day Rescue Diver is one day classroom (and not really a full day) and then the 2 days on the boat. If you do not require any classroom work, other than taking the exam, we would offer you the course at 9,500 baht.

This assumes you've also done EFR already.

As for your deal at Dive Site, it should be noted Dive Site / Paradise is one of the shops that raised prices, along with us and the other major shops. Their day trip price is now, 3.300/2,900 baht (with or without gear rental).

H90, the 3 day Rescue Diver is one day classroom (and not really a full day) and then the 2 days on the boat. If you do not require any classroom work, other than taking the exam, we would offer you the course at 9,500 baht.

This assumes you've also done EFR already.

As for your deal at Dive Site, it should be noted Dive Site / Paradise is one of the shops that raised prices, along with us and the other major shops. Their day trip price is now, 3.300/2,900 baht (with or without gear rental).

9500 is a great deal! I have book, DVD, EFR and own equipment. I don't have the red PIC. I am planning to do it end of Feb. How can I contact you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom