Want To Dive Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkboy1515

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well i've been trying to do a fossil dive for some time now (cooper, Wilimington, or Venice), but the problem is my dad nevers wants to go, so finally he agreed to dive in Venice for my birthday. These dives will be at the very end of December or at the beginning of January. So i know some of the dive spots by researching ( sharky's pier, Alahambra, Venice avenue... ) I would like to know where you guys have had the best luck at. I'm hoping to find larger megalodon teeth, which means that you have to go out deeper, so where is the best spot for larger teeth? I'm planning on 2 beach dives the first day, and maybe a dive with a charter the next. Does anyone have any tips ex. where to go, where the biggest teeth are and so on...? This'll be in December, so i know it'll be colder, but what is the vis. like in DEC? Thanks for any advice, Ross.

Hey Ross,

I just got back from Florida. I met up with some friends and tried to dive in Venice. They set up a trip for us with Florida West Scuba. We went out with them on the boat but viz was so bad the dives were cancelled. We tried the beach too but it was bad there too. Thunder storms the night before. I plan to go back in April or May and will definately schedule my trips wth them again.

Boats were nice and not packed, they were really helpful and then loaned me weights for the day when we tried to go out beach diving. Charter price was reasonable.

If you go out with them, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Good luck!!

I can't wait to go back and try again!

sharkboy1515:
Well i've been trying to do a fossil dive for some time now (cooper, Wilimington, or Venice), but the problem is my dad nevers wants to go, so finally he agreed to dive in Venice for my birthday. These dives will be at the very end of December or at the beginning of January. So i know some of the dive spots by researching ( sharky's pier, Alahambra, Venice avenue... ) I would like to know where you guys have had the best luck at. I'm hoping to find larger megalodon teeth, which means that you have to go out deeper, so where is the best spot for larger teeth? I'm planning on 2 beach dives the first day, and maybe a dive with a charter the next. Does anyone have any tips ex. where to go, where the biggest teeth are and so on...? This'll be in December, so i know it'll be colder, but what is the vis. like in DEC? Thanks for any advice, Ross.

See this subforum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=489

There are Venice Reports all over the place

Here is the best thread for basic info

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126440

The FL West Scuba http://floridawestscuba.com/ Has a good charter the "Hammerhead" can get a little crowed they take a max 12 divers. I have been out with them 3 times now the crew takes good care of you hooks up your BC & reg and even swaps them out after the first dive and hoses you down with fresh water as you enter the boat.

Dec. Jan. down here very hit & miss we start getting the fronts around then they seem to come through every 2-3 days.

April May would probably be a safer bet but I know how time goes. I just did a beach dive last Wednesday vis was about 4-6 ft. Check out my report http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153231
A lot of things play into conditions. I been there in Nov. and it was OK.

Just my opinion
Bruce

As noted above, in December and January, the vis tends to be mostly miss (although the beginning of December isn't as bad). Water temps will be in the 60s, dropping to the upper to mid 50s toward the end of January and February.

That being said, you only need 3"-4" to find the smaller teeth. To get out to the deeper water, you want a little more, at least 18".

Post when you've got your time decided (and closer to the time). I'll be happy to join you, if I can.

ok thanks. I've done some low visability dives before, so maybe they'll help. So my guess is that i'll need around 3 wetsuits or a drysuit for a dive in the winter. I still would like to dive whether the conditions are bad, i've been looking for sharks teeth since i was five, but i've never been able to dive for them yet, so this will be a good oppertunity. What do you find regularly on a dive in venice?

There's a guy on here called "2th divr" I suggest contacting him as he told me once that he dives Venice a few times a week. I'm sure he would be a very good source of knowledge.

Just another option to consider. If your into fossils don't forget the springs more like the rivers coming from the springs.

I have dove the Rainbow River (West of Ocala) you can find fossils not many sharks teeth but the stuff that comes out of there has nice a nice light caramel color.

Even better the Santa Fe River (N.W. of Gainesville). This river is loaded with fossil Material mostly Mammoth Bones Turtle I've found Deer antler & Teeth. Not many shrks teeth. Great place to dive.

Both places above are great in the winter cause the water temp is 72 all year and the water is crystal clear.

If your interested in taking a trip to the Santa Fe River in the winter give me a shout maybe we could do a river dive. Caution the Santa Fe does have a swift currant beware.

Bruce

sharkboy1515:
ok thanks. I've done some low visability dives before, so maybe they'll help. So my guess is that i'll need around 3 wetsuits or a drysuit for a dive in the winter. I still would like to dive whether the conditions are bad, i've been looking for sharks teeth since i was five, but i've never been able to dive for them yet, so this will be a good oppertunity. What do you find regularly on a dive in venice?

Attached are teeth I have found megs, hemis, and several others, common are various carcharhinus, these teeth range from 2 to 4 million years old

those are some very nice teeth! I'm considering diving anywhere in FL, my main interest is Megalodon teeth though. Thanks for all of the useful info and advice you guys. I want to make my dive good... although you can never guarentee finding anything big. I guess its really hard to find 4-6 inch tooth in Venice then. Do you have better luck on a charter finding big teeth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom