Question Where to Dive in Australia in April 2025

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have the opportunity to spend some time in Australia with an open schedule in April 2025. I want to make this the "best of" type of dive trip and hit the premium dive locations around the country. I'm purely a recreational diver, AOW and Nitrox certified with about 600 dives. No tech or rebreather, and I don't have to go deep to have fun. My dive experience includes the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Florida, Raja Ampat, French Polynesia, and Fiji, a single dive day in Sydney, and 8 liveaboards. I prefer boat diving, but I don't mind shore dives that don't involve sand or rocks; meaning launching from a pier or climbing down a ladder is fine. I have a bad knee, so sandy or rocky entries and exits are a no-go.

Ningaloo is on the list, along with the Navy Pier in WA. The Yongala wreck sounds like a good dive, but tell me more. Is it tide-dependent? Does the moon cycle have any effect on the accessibility to the site? Is April a good time to reach the wreck? Is it reachable by day boat or only liveaboard?

Some other locations I've heard about: Busselton Jetty, Lady Elliot Island, Heron Island, Rottnest Island.
I'd like to explore the unbleached areas of the GBR. Would that be the Ribbon Reef and Coral Sea? I don't know my geography very well for Australia.

So, where else should I go?

Is the month of April the peak time for school or national holidays? I want to avoid that, if possible.

TIA!

If you're in Western Australia in April, I definitely recommend diving at the "good" sites in Rottnest Island, Perth. It's the best season for diving in Perth at that time of the year, and can be spectacular.

For the East Coast, I've only dived there this year in May/June, in South-East Queensland. The diving was awesome!...
I was staying in Brisbane,...2-3 hours north at Rainbow Beach (Sunshine Coast) there's Wolf Rocks dive site, the only dive site in the world where large numbers of Grey Nurse Sharks congregate, mate, give birth,...sometimes more than 150 mature sharks. My experience there, I seen >60 large +3 metre pregnant female sharks. In about 30 seconds, I counted 28, then I just stopped counting. Also seen a Manta Ray! Was probably my best dives ever.

And 15 minutes boat ride from Brisbane is North Stradbroke Island, also some great diving there. Underwater, I seen bull sharks and a humpback whale, but the other dive group seen a great white shark, humpback whales, dolphins and possibly a Manta?

Weather is perfect in Queensland most of that time of the year. If I compared my diving in Exmouth, compared to diving in South East Queensland at that time of the year, I'd say Queensland was superior & better value, logistically easier, and nicer top side.

I was staying in Brisbane,...2-3 hours north at Rainbow Beach (Sunshine Coast) there's Wolf Rocks dive site, the only dive site in the world where large numbers of Grey Nurse Sharks congregate, mate, give birth,...sometimes more than 150 mature sharks. My experience there, I seen >60 large +3 metre pregnant female sharks. In about 30 seconds, I counted 28, then I just stopped counting. Also seen a Manta Ray! Was probably my best dives ever.

And 15 minutes boat ride from Brisbane is North Stradbroke Island, also some great diving there. Underwater, I seen bull sharks and a humpback whale, but the other dive group seen a great white shark, humpback whales, dolphins and possibly a Manta?

Dude Brisbane dude!

Screenshot (1255).png

Sharks at Flat rock whales every trip during migration mantas at Manta Bommie and heaps of other stuff

184 DSC06699.JPG

Dude Cook Island dude!

Screenshot (1256).png

Mantas and turtles and heaps of other stuff

267 56560624_2371351189760124_2541873714354454528_n (1).jpg

Dives with people on the boat going ooohh aaahh before they get in the water

All this stuff is seasonal, check with your seasonal people
but not with the weather or visibility people because hey
it's diving

Dude Brisbane dude!

View attachment 849735

Sharks at Flat rock whales every trip during migration mantas at Manta Bommie and heaps of other stuff

View attachment 849736

Dude Cook Island dude!

View attachment 849737

Mantas and turtles and heaps of other stuff

View attachment 849738

Dives with people on the boat going ooohh aaahh before they get in the water

All this stuff is seasonal, check with your seasonal people
but not with the weather or visibility people because hey
it's diving

I might be going to Brisbane again next week. I heard the weather this week's been cold & rainy, if it clears up I'll probably go diving at North Stradbroke Island again,...whale season!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom