Wanna play ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I meant to write (seefirst post )

:confused: Have I been drugged ????

SeaJay once bubbled...
All of my sources say that the Red Baron still holds the record for most confirmed kills, and that Richard Bong was the top scoring American Ace of all time, regardless of war. Where is this information relative to these German aces? It was my understanding that they were not particularly successful fighter pilots, especially later on. I would be surprised to find out that so many pilots were so successful. Q: What the hell?

It does't make sense that the Americans would have the top ace. They weren't even in the Battle of Britain.The Red Baron was not even in the top 100. See, Trevor J. Constable and Col. Raymond F. Toliver, Horido! Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe, Ballantine (1968) (Introduction by Adolf Galland), Appendix At 375.

The authors attributed the high numbers to the fact that they were in the fight from the Spanish Civil War until May 1945 and German pilots did not have the chance to stop flying, even after they were fatigued (which they knew was a factor in Richtoven's death). The Americans were late comers, and had the luxury of retiring successful flyers before they were killed in combat, as they did with Bong. Bong died as a test pilot. Schauder had the opportunity to hunt bombers every night. Hartman flew against an obsolent air force dominated by ground attack planes.

now I am a big fan of military history, but....

when do we get to see more pictures?

When you'll post one of yourself.

Will you ?

Amanda once bubbled...
When you'll post one of yourself.

Will you ?

here you go, it's the best I can do, I don't have a camera. The m16 is nothing more than a glorified BB gun I promise.

now, where's yours?

woohoooooo

is that really you ?

A. Yes, but only if this will be a good sight

Q. Amanda, is Dr. Jay your ralative by chance (new boyfriend)? (look at his avatar).:D

Dive Partner & Sea Jay,

I asked the first "Ace" question. It was about the top American Ace of WW I. When Wreck Writer answered, he asked about the top American Ace of WW II. I answered (not right away) with the correct response - Bong. You are correct that Bong is not in the top 100 Aces. He is the all time top American Ace. The Germans, Soviets, Japanese, Finns, Romanians, and South Africans all have at least one Ace with higher totals than Bong. Croatian, Mato Dukovac ties Bong with 40. The questions have not been edited. I even pointed out Hartmann's 352 kills in an earlier post. Most of Hartmann's victories were against Soviet aircraft, but he also shot down 5 American P-51 Mustangs in 1944. He crash landed 14 times in 1400 combat sorties and over 800 engagements. In August, 1943 his monthly total of 48 kills exceeded Bong's lifetime total of 40.

Back
Top Bottom