Wanna play ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoover once bubbled...
What was the name of Sky King's airplane?

It was the Songbird.

Question: How did Golf get it's name?

I Like it...

Q: what was the deepest manned submersion?

and

Q: What was the depth achieved during the record breaking dive?

In 1960 the Trieste wen to 35,800 feet (11,015 meters). The submersible touched the bottom of the Marianas Trench, where they left a small American flag.

The Shinkai is the deepest diving submersible *still in operation* with an operating depth of just over 21,000 feet (6,500 meters).

Now, something tells me that y'all are goin' in and changing your old answers, relative to the whole ace discussion. :wink:

I believe the original question was something along the lines of, "Who was the top scoring ace of all time?" (Or something to that effect.) I believe that someone answered that it was "Bing" Bong, and then I corrected them and said that it was the Red Baron.

Since then, I believe that people have gone in and changed their questions and answers such that now we're all screwed up. Now the question reads, "Who was the top scoring AMERICAN ace of all time... Etc... Etc..."

If I'm wrong about the questions, then sue me. :D Things look mighty suspicious there, especially since someone quoted the original question as it really was... And now the two don't match. :D

Whatever.

All of my sources say that the Red Baron still holds the record for most confirmed kills, and that Richard Bong was the top scoring American Ace of all time, regardless of war. Where is this information relative to these German aces? It was my understanding that they were not particularly successful fighter pilots, especially later on. I would be surprised to find out that so many pilots were so successful.

Of course, I've been wrong before, but that's what I understood.

Q: What the hell?

For the "record"

Bong, Richard Ira, 1920-1945 was the Top scoring American ace of World War II by shooting down 40 Japanese Planes in the Pacific. On April 12 with 3 confirmed kills he surpassed Rickenbacker's WWI record of 26.

General Kenney took him out of action again and promoted him to Major. When Rickenbacker heard about it, he sent a message of congratulations reading, "Just received the good news that you are the first one to break my record in World War I by bringing down 27 planes in combat, as well as your promotion, so justly deserved. I hasten to offer my sincere congratulations with the hope that you will double or triple this number. But in trying, use the same calculating techniques that has brought you results to date, for we will need your kind back home after this war is over. My promise of a case of Scotch still holds. So be on the lookout for it." General Kenney also sent Bong a case of champagne.

Bong returned to the Southwest Pacific on September 10, reporting to Gen. Kenney at Hollandia. Bong's latest HQ assignment was 'advanced gunnery instructor', and while allowed to go on combat missions, he had orders to only defend himself, and not seek out the enemy. In the next three months he added 12 more kills.

Bong described combat flying as fun and a great game that made life interesting (sounds like some divers we know!) . Some pilots were only concerned with their scores, almost to the point of recklessness. Bong relished in the actual flying of combat, not how many enemy aircraft he could shoot down. Bong often referred to his gunnery skills as being lousy, perhaps the worst in the Army Air Force, and this was after breaking Eddie Rickenbacker's record of 26 kills! However, his skills were very adequate, and estimates were that he had a 91 percent hit rate. Bong also knew how to get the most from the aircraft he was flying. He loved flying the P-38, and many pilots who flew with him commented on his mastery of it. He was not a flashy pilot, and knew the limitations of the P-38 and never pushed it beyond. His analytical nature was valuable when flying combat, and he always analyzed the situation before going in with guns firing. Most importantly, he felt no shame in breaking off an engagement when the odds turned against him.

After Bong scored his 40th victory, General Kenney sent him home, this time for good. He was America's "Ace of Aces," with 40 aerial victories, 200 combat missions, and over 500 combat hours behind him.

Now just who started this?

~ <//><

Me (see new thread).

Who wa stupid enough to follow ? :eek:ut:

Amanda once bubbled...
Who wa stupid enough to follow ? :eek:ut:

Prolly most of us.

Amanda once bubbled...
Me (see new thread).

Which new thread?

Back
Top Bottom