Wanaque Resevoir Old Town on Bottom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I grew up in Haskell (Wanaque Borough) N.J. Besides the famous UFO sightings there, I had heard as a kid that an old village/town or at least a series of buildings was on the bottom of the Wanaque Resevoir when it was originally flooded.

I live out West now, but now that I'm a diver again, I thought I'd like to fulfill a childhood adventure dream when I go back to visit my nephew, IF there's really anything surviving on the bottom even foundations, etc. Does anyone know anything about this?

Unrelated, but I'm also interested in finding my original PADI instructor: Dick (Richard) Altrath, (who owned a very tiny Scuba shop in Haskell in the early '70s and was a H.S. buddy,if anyone knows him and can tell me how to contact him.

Many thanks,
Jim T.

Jim,

That is just down the road from me and a load of other divers who I am sure would be interested. When will you be out here?

Steve

Hi Steve,
Probably not until '08 at least. May come for my nephew's college graduation. If you ask around and know anyone who's dove the res. could you please let me know? (I don't even know if it's allowed...) Congrats on Daddyhood!

Nothing like planning ahead! I'll look into diving there and see what the NJ crew has to say.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. When I was a youth, i used to go to Monroe Village (I think it was called), a restored colonial museum village. Maybe a cool place to bring our son to when he's a bit older-if it's still there.

Jim

Hrmm I wonder if you emailed the "Weird NJ" peeps they might be able to help you out. I grew up in Kinnelon, and definitely spent a lot of time during my high school years in that area (West Milford, Germantown, etc) looking for strange and creepy things. It would be pretty cool if there was a sunken town under there....

Oh the weird guys on the NJ Wreck Board have been asked...

split0101,
Wow, same H.S. hang out places. I graduated in 1970 though...
Steve have you seen the Monroe Village? Wondered if it still exists.
My Mom and Dad wouldn't let me drive up to see the UFOs when I was in H.S.
(Late night sightings.) I got gypped! Maybe...:)

There used to be an old lady who worked part time at the Wanaque Public Library who knew EVERYthing about local history but I'm certain she's long gone now or I could ask her and then tell you all about what was under the Resevoir.
Only once during a rare drought did I see some old foundations exposed which made me hungry to know what else might still be standing.

Are you sure you could dive the wanaque resevoir? I doubt it since you can't fish it.....I like like 10 minutes from it.

I have no idea if diving is allowed in the Res. It was done back in the early '70s but I don't know if it was on the sly or not.
Looking forward to finding out though and what may still be down there.

Anyone recall what agency manages the Res.? I could email and ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom