Wakulla Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novicediver

Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't a DIR question per se, but is about caves so I figure it is an appropriate question for this area. Is Wakulla Springs diving limited to the WKPP or are parts of it open to the public for scuba diving? I am not talking full cave exploration, but diving in general.

To my knowledge, Wakulla springs is not open. There is at least one sink open for diving in this area, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I see you have a moderate number of dives. From what I hear (I haven't done it) the Wakulla system ledge drops off to 190ft pretty quickly, so unless you're tri-mix diving, it might not be so fun anyway.

There is a LOT to do in North Florida if you just want to visit the general area though.

There is a lawsuit in action to open Wakulla to all divers again. No idea of the status of it. Currently you MUST be a WKPP diver to dive it.

P.S. This should be under Cave Diving.

Who's filed the suit. I'd like to read it.

I got to the site, but couldn't see anything there about a lawsuit. Maybe I missed it.

There has been an effort underway to open Emerald Sink to cave diving,which is on Walkulla Springs State Park property,and this will open when all the improvements have been completed. Diving at Wakulla I think will always be limited to permited diving only such as projects like the WKPP and Wakulla2.

If you have worked your way up through the ranks and humped tanks and kissed butt you can get in. Or you can take the Ultra Special Top Secret Not To Be Talked About Ever Sneak Cave Diver Specialty course and go any time you want.

Bobby

:14:
Will you be running the course training locally with the check out s in NFL?:D
Butch

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom