Wakatobi or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to go to Wakatobi for a week in mid October. It would cost approx $3k, plus airfare from Anchorage ($1,100). Or I could plan something else in Indonesia, perhaps a live aboard, sometime between mid October and December. So, my question is....is Wakatobi worth $4k for a week or would I get better value from a liveaboard?

My preferences are walls, which I understand Wakatobi might not have, but I also love soft corals and beautiful, colorful reefs.

I appreciate any input, thanks!
Julie

... is Wakatobi worth $4k for a week or would I get better value from a liveaboard? My preferences are walls, which I understand Wakatobi might not have, but I also love soft corals and beautiful, colorful reefs.Julie

Wakatobi will satisfy your desires for soft corals, beautiful, colorful reefs, and walls too. Maybe 50% of dives there are walls, many of them jaw-dropping beautiful. Having said that, there are other places in Indonesia that satisfy your requirements, many of them much cheaper.

What do you want out of your trip besides the diving? If you'd like comfortable, spacious accommodations, great customer service from hordes of smiling employees, and excellent food, along with the most comfortable, convenient dive boats you will find anywhere, then go to Wakatobi. Though we would probably not go back, not out of dissatisfaction, but only because there are so many other places to experience, at the same time we are certainly glad we went!

If you enjoy the "rustic" side of resorts and/or liveaboards, you will be able to find many choices that will save you significant $$$. There is no wrong answer to your question ... it's all about what you want!

We have been to Wakatobi 3 times and the Pelagian (Wakatobi's live aboard) 3 times; all trips have been fantastic but we probably won't go back because of the desire to see more of the coral triangle. We would concur exactly with the statements made by Highdesert; this is one of the most well organized dive resorts in the world and they can deliver on their promise of a great vacation and fantastic diving. Our belief is that they are trying to attract the "high end" dive traveler and so if you're wanting to consider the best "bang for the buck" for dive travel to indonesia, you have many, many choices that are much cheaper. Go to the Ultimate Dive Travel website, Ken seems to know where the best dive values are (we are not affiliated with Ultimate Dive Travel) and is very consistent in his suggestions for value and good diving.

I was in Wakatobi in October 07.....I have a TR posted....I have also been to East Timor, Bali, Raja Ampat, Lembeh Straits and somewhere else I cannot think of right now.....Wakatobi has one of the finest dive operations I have dove with and probably one of the best values if you want to dive 5 times a day....but I would rate the diving about a C to C+...I would go to Bali, East Timor or Raja Ampat.

That's interesting. Why would you rate the diving only a C or C+? I've never been anywhere in Indonesia, so have no point of reference there, but have been to Palau, Thailand, Philippines (Tubbataha), Cozumel, Honduras, Belize..... How would you say Wakatobi compares to any of those places?

Comparing Wakatobi to Palau and the other spots you have been to (that I have
been) is like comparing apples to oranges....Have you read my Wakatobi trip report? If you like pigmy seahorses and nudis....you might like it....Go to Raja or Lembeh lots more to see and A+ diving....or an easier trip to Bali solid B to B+ diving.

I was in Wakatobi in October 07.....I have a TR posted....I have also been to East Timor, Bali, Raja Ampat, Lembeh Straits and somewhere else I cannot think of right now.....Wakatobi has one of the finest dive operations I have dove with and probably one of the best values if you want to dive 5 times a day....but I would rate the diving about a C to C+...I would go to Bali, East Timor or Raja Ampat.

Exactly. A very well run resort and certainly very good at customer service/s to make your trip as hassle free as possible from the time your arrive in Denpassar till you leave.

But yes the diving is certianly in the C+to B- range. Lots and lots of walls.

I've been to Wakatobi 6 times and we have booked hundreds of people there. It is consistently good diving and a very well run operation. I have dived several other destinations in Indonesia including Bali, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Lembeh, Bunakin and most recently Buyat Bay. All are wonderful and each offer something different. You can not go wrong with Wakatobi and I would rate the diving in the B+ to A range. I'm returning in November with my 7th group and we are planning an 8th group in May 2010. We do group trips every month to destinations around the world and I have never had a disatisfied client at Wakatobi. Go, you will love it!

If reefs and walls and soft coral are what you want Wakatobi won't disappoint. True there is better diving in Indonesia but Wakatobi is good for what you want. Lembeh while one of my favs won't have what you want. There is a lot to see at Wakatobi besides nudis and pygmy seahorese. I've been twice and probably wouldn't go again but I enjoyed myself a lot both times I went. Raja Ampat and Komodo would both probably satisy what you want as well.

Dream Weaver Travel - Hi Steve!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom