wahoooooooooo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detonate:
As usual, I'll go against the grain.

As with any activity, some people will inevitably progress much faster than others. I agree that as a rule of thumb it's probably not a very good idea. But for me, I was quite comfortable with a camera underwater after about my 10th dive.

Heck, I still don't have a 100 dives under my belt.

I don't want to sound like I am encouraging people not to take VERY good advice, but the fact remains that a set period of when one should start carrying a camera and when one shouldn't kind of misses the point. As Detonate points out, different people progress at different rates. What matters is making sure on is very comfortable and safe diver before adding additional tasks to a dive. That could be as early as a dozen dives or as many as well over a hundred for some divers.

In my case, I was an lifelong waterman who was more than comfortable and safe very early on because I basically grew up in the ocean and had been free diving for years. I was also a photographer to begin with, so I was comfortable with a camera as well and having one with me was natural for many activities I engaged in. When I started diving, it was incredibly natural thing for me and the relaxtion and confidence meant I could dive safely and conscientiously without much extra mental effort.

I was diving with cameras after only probably 10 or 12 dives outside of certificcation - but I also went right into an advanced class after a couple of day trips after being certified. It was never really a distraction or a detriment to my dives or my buddies safety. Hasn't been sincce because I am aware of the situtation before each dive and approach each dive as if it is totally different than the last and may present problems others haven't - I still do that roughly 400 or so dives later.

The key is to make sure you are comfortable diving and that certain things have become routine and almost rote for you before you start adding tasks to your dives. That could be real soon, it could be later. The key is that even when that happens, don't assume that every dive after that will be an appropriate dive to take a camera (or whatever) along on. Even now, there are times I will have my camera gear all set up and ready to go and for whatever reason will say, "Naw, I'll leave it behind this time" - could be a night dive with other issues to deal with. Could be a new site with currents or something I'm not sure of. Could be I am just feeling mentally lazy that morning . . . .

Just get to the point you are a happy comfortable diver and then just take something along to simply carry and care for - maybe even a rock. See if having something in your hands is a distraction or a non-issue.

Don't take a camera simply because you feel you can't wait to take photos. Take a camera when you can say to yourself that extra tasks don't add aprehension and it sounds like a relaxing hobby to add to the relaxing hobby of diving. Another piece of advice. I did my first photo dives with a rented Nikonos V that I had insured - the idea being that if at some point I needed to ditch it, it wasn't a huge deal for either me, or for the company that rented ot to me. That may not be the route to go, but there are relatively inexpensive disposables that give good results and won't make an end of the world situation out of ditching it.

Just go for it when you are READY, not when there has been some set dive milestone. That milestone may not even be the right time if you don't feel ready.

In the meantime, just enjoy diving. At this point, I relish a dive every so often without the distraction of thinking, "Oh I should shoot that" . . .

wow!
can i take you guys all home with me? hahahahaha!
thanks a million! i feel so much more educated and encouraged.

as for that trip, any takers?!?! i don't think susan would mind! =) errr...

thanks to all.....

sincerely, newbie scuba, dan

ps> does it matter if i buy a compact flash card with 512mb vs. 1 gig??

is it worth it to get the 4x cards??? hmmm......do the flash cards even matter????
-dan

Wow, mandrake, I couldn't disagree more. "100 dives"? I just don't get it. I dive regularly with a guy who has over 500 dives, is a certified divemaster, and still has a lot to learn. Sometimes he just seems out of his element underwater. Whether or not we like to admit it, some people are "natural" divers, and they shouldn't be unnecessarily worried about taking a camera along early in their adventures.

I suppose that mempilot and detonate already said it better.

think of it this way, would you feel confident diving with only one arm and looking through one eye? I started taking photos around my 30th dive and I can tell you that I had my arms FULL. Photo in one hand, lamp in another and a buddy to handle! It can get nasty...

btw. don't forget that cases don't sink but float so be carefull you don't loose it...

This camera will be OK for at least the first year and the price is not too high.
Remember, if you don't take the camera with you you'll see a lot of fishes and everything but if you do, you'll have a felling they all ran away... That's normal and nothing to worry :)

Enyoj yourself and congrats.

sijtse:
Wow, mandrake, I couldn't disagree more. "100 dives"? I just don't get it. I dive regularly with a guy who has over 500 dives, is a certified divemaster, and still has a lot to learn. Sometimes he just seems out of his element underwater. Whether or not we like to admit it, some people are "natural" divers, and they shouldn't be unnecessarily worried about taking a camera along early in their adventures.

I don't think 100 dives is some magical figure after which a person is capable of anything. I see it as a good milepost at which a person should have enough experience underwater for the most basic skills to be second nature, to have experienced some adverse conditions more than once, and to be able to assess what they are really capable of. Some people will reach this point well before 100 dives, but I don't think many will do it with enough margin of safety before 50. Nlbford above was almost certainly an exception, but then he was a free diver and photographer before taking up scuba. Had I been his instructor I probably would have advised him to wait a little longer, but I suspect he had the experience after 10 dives to be a safe bet. I also agree with you that there are people with 500 dives who shouldn't even be allowed in the water.

My main point is that 'being comfortable' is not enough. You must have experience and judgment. One can become comfortable rather quickly, but experience and judgment build only very slowly, and a few minutes of not monitoring your air or not paying attention to your navigation can kill you. It's not a game, and you can endanger not only yourself but others too. I think 100 dives is an excellent point for a personal assessment of whether you are ready for a camera underwater. It also sets a higher bar than most people would set for themselves, who should be much more conservative than they are.

even though i am a newbie, i can see how and why everyone is so passionate about this sport....no, make it life. it's truly a whole new world underwater and is truly fascinating!

and to see everyone give their input is so encouraging.

i don't think any one person is right or wrong, i think everyone has their say from their own experiences...and THIS is what i appreciate! so thanks, everyone!

now, getting back to the question!

is a 512 ok? vs. a 1 gig card? does the speed of the card make that much of a difference? also, does the manufacturer matter??

thanks again!

hope to meet some of you some day!!!

take good care,

-dan

deputydan1:
ps> has anyone been to tahiti? we're going to bora bora and moorea.......

-dan

Yes (and there are actually some above water photos from that trip in my gallery) - though it was close to 10 years ago. I had some excellent dives there. Saw lots of sharks. I'm not sure if it is still in effecct, but when I was there, they actually had a 2 dives a day limit.

deputydan1:
is a 512 ok? vs. a 1 gig card? does the speed of the card make that much of a difference?

Yes, the speed of the card can make a big differencce depending on the camera. A slow card can be frustrating at times if you need to take photos in quick succession. In my wife's 4300, a slow card is just maddening, but when I use a faster card, the difference is dramatic. If you have the ability to download the card's contents on a regular basis, I would emphasize speed over capacity. If you don't have a way to download your pics though (or if you plan on taking lots of photos in an uncompressed format), the larger card is something you want to cosndider.

I use 1 gig cards because I take many shots in TIFF format on the highest quality settings and I never have space issues. I did with smaller cards because I try to keep images on the card after I download as long as I can so I have two sets as a back up. Once I can backup the downloaded pics, they get zapped off the camera.

Back
Top Bottom