wahoooooooooo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1:
great!!!
man! can i just call you all my "buddies" and scuba with ya'll?!!?! =)

thanks, all...

can't wait....

-dan

Any time, Deputy...we'd be pleased to have you.

Deputydan1, if you feel that underwater photography might be something that you could get into, I don't see any harm in spending the hundred or so dollars for the housing and bringing it with you. It's not a huge investment. As you progress through the week, if you feel more comfortable with your diving, it sounds like a reasonably small camera that you might be able to handle. Of course it doesn't mean that you have to use it. You can always give it to the divemaster and ask him/her to get some cool shots of you and your wife underwater.

Wow! I would be excited too. Tahiti! (Oh yes, and just got married). I would definitely go ahead and get the housing for your existing camera. 170 bucks may be an annual income in some countries, but if you can afford Tahiti, I don't think the housing will put you in the poor house. Use what you have, get used to it, experiment, and rob a bank for a pro system later if you decide it's for you. As for the new diver taking a camera down issue, I say go for it if you are comfortable in the water. On all of my hundreds of dives, I have never been without a camera of some sort or other. I even took a disposable in a ziplock bag in the pool during my open water class (the pictures weren't that awesome). I see it as the same as a new diver carrying a flashlight in their hand. Some cameras and flashlights are about the same size and you just swim around with them until you see something you want to point them at. It might be a bit different with an SLR where your eye is glued to a viewfinder and you are trying to position strobes while hovering 6" from the bottom. A point and shoot digital should be fine. Good luck!

gosh, can i just take you all home with me?

=)

lol.

i just found this board today, and i already feel like i am under some heavy duty, wise wings.

thanks EVERYONE for all your input......i am sure i will be here more often!

ps> any pics of bora boar or moorea? are there any MUST-DO's while there??

thanks again, gang!

-dan

Dan...go to the Travel section and ask your questions about Tahiti there, I think you'll get more answer from the folks who travel to that area frequently.

Dan - one more thing. If you do get the housing, make sure you know how to use it properly as the risk of flooding your camera can be significant if you don't take the proper precautions. There's lots of good info on this topic on the board. Just do a search. Good luck and have a great trip!

-dan,

to contribute to all that has been advised.

1. in a group be sure you don't stray from the group. it has happened several times on my dive trips that a diver with camera lags from the group or goes some other way to get a good picture. This may be ok in still and calm water, however when currents get involved, it is very easy to be swept away from the group.

2. If it would be possible that you and your buddy be the only divers in the group. so no one would be inconvenienced. Or get your dive guide to take you (you and your dive guide) with the agreement that the dive guide will wait for you to finish your pictures before moving on.

3. be very carefull on preventing the flooding your camera and casing. Do it always the last in opening and rinsing your camera when all other stings have been done.

4. and again, i advise that you plan your dive as a dive for you to take pictures, DIVE PLAN : for Dan to take pictures at his leisure.

Happy Diving

Get the housing, just remember taking pictures is secondary.

Dan, I have been to Tahiti as a newbie diver. We went to Moorea first and my third dive after certification was a shark feeding dive in 85' of water, 3' surg and a stiff current. I took a disposable and did not get anything like a photo, disposable cameras disposable pictures.

My advice, get the housing, rig it to your BC and in a pocket and only take it out when you are somewhere comfortable. Even if the diving is to intense you can still get some good shots snorkling. YOU'RE GOING TO TAHITI!!!!

ps. There's a Tahiti trip report on my home page.

Back
Top Bottom