wahoooooooooo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detonate:
As with any activity, some people will inevitably progress much faster than others. I agree that as a rule of thumb it's probably not a very good idea. But for me, I was quite comfortable with a camera underwater after about my 10th dive.

You overestimate your abilities, and won't know it until you are challenged beyond what you are comfortable with. You also need to ask whether other people were comfortable with you having a camera on your 10th dive -- you might be surprised by their answers after having watched you. Absolutely no one should have a camera on their 10th dive. Many shouldn't have one on their 100th.

Diving is a mentally demanding activity, and sometimes a physically demanding one as well. Photography is a mentally demanding activity. The combination of the two goes well beyond what any inexperienced diver should subject themselves to. I think 100 dives is the point where people might have the experience needed to judge whether or not they will be comfortable with the extra distractions and task loading. Taking pictures will unquestionably decrease your diving skills. You need to be at a very high level to start with to afford such a hit to your attention, skills, physical dexterity, and resistance to panic in adverse conditions.

I've seen too many people destroying reefs, kicking up clouds of silt, colliding with other divers, and just being generally oblivious to their surroundings and gauges to think that anyone but an advanced diver should have a camera. I personally regard myself as an excellent diver without a camera, and an adequate diver with one, and am rather chastened and embarassed by some of the things I have done while taking pictures. But above all it is a matter of safety -- novice divers should be developing their skills and paying attention to their gauges.

gosh, too much info! overload!! hehehehe..
actually, all i was wanting was some advice on the camera housing for my canon s230. i think everyone has great points, but i don't plan on diving deep with my camera....just wanted to take some pics (near surface, i.e. snorkeling, etc.) for honeymoon souvenirs. i can see how passionate some of you are.....and i think that is wonderful. i can't wait to get to know more of you!!

ps> i truly am in love with the sport (life) of scuba...it's been medicine for my soul.

pss> so! anyone still recommend the housing for my canon s230? or shall i pass on it and get a better camera for future use??

thanks EVERYONE!

sincerely,

deputy

Deputy,

On your honeymoon, pick a dive operator that sends an underwater photographer along with the group. Let them take the pics of you and your new bride. The pics will be professional, have both of you in them, and you can purchase them for a reasonable price. Most of them do the shooting on video and can make it available via DVD or VHS. I've bought a few for about $30 to $60 in the Caymans and other locations.

deputydan1:
so! anyone still recommend the housing for my canon s230? or shall i pass on it and get a better camera for future use??
deputy

Sorry, don't know much about this camera. What camera to get is an even longer and more potentially contentious discussion than the one we've been having. It's driven primarily by your goals. Do you want to be a world-class photographer, take decent pictures with some room for growth, or just collect snapshots to record what you see on your dives for friends? Do you want a completely automated point and shoot, do you want manual control, do you think you'll ever want external strobes, do you want to dig into PhotoShop or just drop off a CF card at Costco or Walmart? Do you want a camera that fits in a BC pocket, or do you not mind dragging along a behemoth? How much money do you want to spend? How much photographic experience do you have? yadda yadda

At any rate, the digideep site lists only one housing for your S230:

http://digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=7&pID=286

mempilot:
Deputy,

On your honeymoon, pick a dive operator that sends an underwater photographer along with the group. Let them take the pics of you and your new bride. The pics will be professional, have both of you in them, and you can purchase them for a reasonable price. Most of them do the shooting on video and can make it available via DVD or VHS. I've bought a few for about $30 to $60 in the Caymans and other locations.
That is pretty good idea also.

deputydan1:
gosh, too much info! overload!! hehehehe..
actually, all i was wanting was some advice on the camera housing for my canon s230. i think everyone has great points, but i don't plan on diving deep with my camera....just wanted to take some pics (near surface, i.e. snorkeling, etc.) for honeymoon souvenirs. i can see how passionate some of you are.....and i think that is wonderful. i can't wait to get to know more of you!!

ps> i truly am in love with the sport (life) of scuba...it's been medicine for my soul.

pss> so! anyone still recommend the housing for my canon s230? or shall i pass on it and get a better camera for future use??

thanks EVERYONE!

sincerely,

deputy
I say buy the housing and over the next yr or so, if you find yourself enjoying taking pictures then upgrade your camera and housing in a year or two.

I'm sure we (the board) can give you a better idea on how to plan ahead if we knew what your future intentions are.

Give us a quick list on what your future plans are:
How often will be diving?
Higher certs?
etc. The more info the better.

mandrake:
You overestimate your abilities, and won't know it until you are challenged beyond what you are comfortable with. You also need to ask whether other people were comfortable with you having a camera on your 10th dive -- you might be surprised by their answers after having watched you. Absolutely no one should have a camera on their 10th dive. Many shouldn't have one on their 100th.
Well I think it's extremely naieve for you to make these assumptions. But, I actually did just that. My first blue water dive in Cozumel (my 25th logged dive) I did not dive with the camera because the dive instructor from the shop I went with wanted to see how comfortable I was in the water, since he was not my OW instructor. After the dive, everyone was perfectly comfortable with me taking my camera on subsequent dives. Of course that first dive I saw the only Nurse Shark, Turtle, and Baracuda of the entire trip.

I'm now a NAUI Training Assistant and will have already began Instructor training and still do not have 100 logged dives. I only have 67 in less than a year.

There are a great many people that are confident in my knowledge and my skills underwater. My Instructor trainer always says that when he picks instructors he will only train those that he would feel comfortable training his wife, kids, or other loved ones, and yet here he is training me.

I think it's quite obvious that everyone progresses at a different rate, and that absolutely must be taken into consideration. Not just for photography, but for anything.

Detonate:
Well I think it's extremely naieve for you to make these assumptions.

It might be a number of things, but the last thing it is is naive. Let's agree to disagree. When you have a lot more dives under your belt, and have been an instructor for a while, you'll probably feel differently than you do now. I've seen too many people recklessly endanger themselves and others through brash overconfidence. I've been on both sides of it, too. Please don't encourage anyone to move as fast as you have.

Everyone moves at different pace. Some become very comfortable underwater in a much shorter period of time than others. This can be due to limiting their exposure to higher risk dives, gaining experience through diving with great mentors, or a number of other reasons.

If you take 100 dives to be comfortable, don't assume it will take someone else the same. This is true the other way as well. Someone who has been involved in high risk duties in their personal life may adapt to the risks of diving much quicker than a cube dweller. While I dive deep weekly, I also fly airplanes, mountain bike, snow ski, and date flight attendants. All of these can be considered risky, but it didn't take me 100 events to become comfortable with any of them, especially dating flight attendants! :)

Let deputy make his own risk assessment based on our guidance. I'm sure he is good at knowing what he is capable of and isn't.

great!!!
man! can i just call you all my "buddies" and scuba with ya'll?!!?! =)

thanks, all...

can't wait....

-dan

Back
Top Bottom