wahoooooooooo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all!
my name is dan and i just got certified!!! it was such an awesome experience!!! can't wait to get my feet more wet with ya'll!

quick ?, i am going to tahitit for our honeymoon next month....i have a canon s230 (3.2 megapixel).......is it worth it to get the case for approx. $170??

does anyone have this cam?? is it decent for underwater pics for a newbie?

thanks so much!!!

excited,

-dan

Well i dont see why not, i have seen some really good shots from 2 & 3 megapixel cameras.

Congrats on getting Your cert. Now get out there Deputy and get wet!!!

Dan, this probably isn't the advice you want to hear, but my very well-meant recommendation is to not try to take pictures underwater until you're an extremely proficient diver, having mastered all the normal scuba skills, particularly buoyancy. I've done about 250 dives in a wide variety of conditions, and putting a camera in my hands can still result in task-overloading where, without a camera, I would be completely comfortable and up to any challenge. It is dangerous to yourself and to the marine environment to wield a camera you're not ready for. Please consider celebrating your 100th dive with your first underwater pictures.

thanks so much fish and mandrake...points very, very well taken. i appreciate it...

i will take heed...

how about those disposable ones???

are those ok for just play?

thanks!

-dan

I have to join Mandrake in this. I know this is a special time for you and the new wife but please don't possibly endanger either of you by taking on more than you can handle. I speak from experience, I started diving with a camera in my hand and I had no business doing so. It's a miracle me, my buddy/husband and the reef survived unscathed!

You would not be happy with the disposables results. I'd take the camera you have and take some excellent topside pics. Concentrate on the beautiful coutry you will be in. Underwater can look almost the same from place to place but Tahiti through the eyes of newlyweds would be a treat to see. If you plan on snorkeling, take a disposable with you but that as far as I would go in the water with one.

Have a great honeymoon and life!

Dee:
I have to join Mandrake in this. I know this is a special time for you and the new wife but please don't possibly endanger either of you by taking on more than you can handle. I speak from experience, I started diving with a camera in my hand and I had no business doing so. It's a miracle me, my buddy/husband and the reef survived unscathed!

Have a great honeymoon and life!

i have to agree Dee, but (my 1p's worth)

i actually took my C920 down with me on my 1st dive after qualifying, admittedly, the instructor and two other instructors were with us and it was a ray feed so we were heavy on the sand and the C920 is a little camera.

I survived, but then my instructor said i was a natural :wink: and the instructor that took me for advanced said she couldn't believe i had only done six dives.

i would say take it along, do a dive without it, see how you get along and ask the guide/instructor if they think you are capable of diving with it, by the end of the honeymoon, you might well be capable of it, underwater photography that is because you will have worn the little soldier out by then (medic........ .soldier down! :nurse:)

wow!

you guys are so awesome.....i find myself falling for this site real fast!
thanks for all the input and well wishes....

although we are newbies, our instructor said we did exceptionally well together....i just wanted to take some pics (not too deep) of our honeymoon memories....uhh....errr....OUTSIDE those of the bungalow.....hahahahahah!!

but i was just wondering....would this camera suffice.....

thanks again!!!!

-dan

As usual, I'll go against the grain.

As with any activity, some people will inevitably progress much faster than others. I agree that as a rule of thumb it's probably not a very good idea. But for me, I was quite comfortable with a camera underwater after about my 10th dive.

Heck, I still don't have a 100 dives under my belt.

While all the above is good advice, I'll agree with Detonate here. You make the decision. The camera/housing you are talking about is very small. I would suggest putting it in your bcd pocket after your 1st dive if you feel you are comfortable diving. Then, if you feel it's right, i.e. you got your buoyancy under control and both of you agree, pull it out. Just be very careful that you are not floating to the surface or smacking into a reef while you are fiddling with it. Let the divemaster know your experience level.

After all, we aren't talking about strobes and lenses and manual adjustments here. This is a very small point & shoot camera. But be sure you know how it works before you dive. Shoot lots of pics with the housing topside or in a pool first. You don't want to think about it much when you are at depth.

Have fun and be careful. Oh yeah... congrats!!

I agree with the whole wait census BUT considering the occassion I would take a point and shoot camera that didn't have a strobe. Have it attached to your wrist so you can snap a quick picture. Just be smart in what your doing. You know what your capable of handling so I think at this point its your call.

NOTE: If you do take the camera, BE SURE TO HAVE ABSOLUTE GOOD BUDDY CONTROL. You can easily get seperated from your buddy or group when trying to snap pictures.

Back
Top Bottom