W1 vs W2 neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcfahy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there are difference between the neoprene (and thermal /stretch properties) used in the W1 and W2? Some of the LDS in my area think that the W1 is a higher quality suit (and more expesnive) and others believe that the differences are down to front vs back zip. Please help.

Neoprene is the same. The reason that the W1 is more expensive is due to the different design (it simply takes longer to built it ) as well as the longer front zipper. Details, that cost more money manufacturing the suit.
Michael

Thanks Michael for your quick response. I have a Lynx 5 mm and am comfortable down to about 15 degree C. I need thermal protection to 10 deg C. Would you think that the 7 mm W1 or W2 will be adequate? Thanks again.

At the moment I'm teaching several Courses in Eastern Canada / North Atlantic. The water temperature is about 7 - 9 Celsius and I am using both the 7mm Aries as well as 7mm W2 with the hooded 5mm vest and the Orion boots and the normal Waterproof 5 finger gloves. We usually get two back to back dives of around 35 - 40 minutes each with a surface interval of around 45 minutes ( give or take ) and the divers are fine. Most of them are female, around 20 - 24 years old and in the 130 pound range ( they are marine biology students at the local university )
Usually they are getting a little bit cold at the end of the second dive, but nothing to uncomfortable.
It think it also depends on your personal comfort level. While I did dives in 4 or 5 Celsius cold water 15 years ago in a 7mm wetsuit of questionable quality, you would never get me in any water colder then 18 Celsius with any kind of wetsuit any more (I know, I'm a whimp...)
Michael

Very helpful answer to guide me in my decisions. Many thanks for taking the time for the thoughtful reply. I sympathize in not wanting to suffer in cold water.

The neoprene used on the W1 is slightly different than on the W2. The W1 uses a "Hi-dense microcell CR neoprene" whereas the W2 uses a "microcell CR neoprene". The hi dense material supposedly has a little more stretch. If you look at the two suits side by side you can also notice a difference in the texture. The W1 has a very smooth almost silky feel, while the W2 feels like normal nylon sided neoprene. Both suits have the same new hextex lining.
I haven't seen any comparisons on thermal differences but I would think that they would be very similar.

Cheers,
Scott

Back
Top Bottom