w-20 blurring issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whiskysurfer760

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I'm an ikelite junkie running a Canon G9 in an Ikelite housing. I have a DS-160 as my primary strobe, and a DS-51 as a fill flash. I've purchased the ikelite w-20 conversion lens for wide angle shots. I've encountered a problem that I don't know how to correct. The edges of my photos are coming out very blurry. I've tried adjusting shutters speeds from 1/60th to 1/250th and the edges are still blurry. Ikelite recommends purchasing the 9305.92 flat port for enhanced use with the w-20. I was wondering if anybody has encountered this same blurring problem, and if the flat port has made a difference.

If you think you can help in this matter, please drop me a line.

Thanks for your help, and happy exposures,

Loren

I answered your question the other place you asked it. Yes, you need the short port. The wet lens must be mounted as close as possible to the camera lens, the further away it is from the camera lens the greater the peripheral blurring until finally the entire image is blurred and vignetting as well.

Some blurring may not be possible to eliminate.

Hold the lens up in front of your eye about one inches away and then move it slowly until about 6 inches away--you will see the cone of blurring begin at the edges and slowly move into the center.

That is why they see you need the shorter port, sorry. Post a pic showing the blurring.

N

I'm assuming that if you have a short port and accidentally zoom, you end up with a broken camera?

I'm assuming that if you have a short port and accidentally zoom, you end up with a broken camera?

No, the camera simply shows an error, and it will either shut down or require you to shut it down and reset. However, I wouldn't want to be doing that too often, as I can't imagine the retractable lens will put up with that forever!

My housing comes with a small screw-in locking bolt, which I install when shooting wide-angle. When that bolt is in place, it does not allow me to zoom out.

Most of these lenses we are talking about do not like to be "zoomed" very much anyways, no need to zoom, just swim closer. N

Back
Top Bottom