VR3 vs. HS-Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emeraldvideo

Reaction score
I have just read your article on RGBM algorithms. It seems as though I would want a computer based on those algorithms such as the HS-Explorer. I am curious as to your opinion on the VR3 algorithms, which I believe are modified Haldanean. I had originally been looking at purchasing a VR3, but after reading about RGBM I am forced to reconsider a computer that fully supports it. Could you shed some light on these issues? Thank you in advance.
-emeraldvideo
:scuba:

Dear Emeraldvideo:

Readers will note that I do not make comments on specific pieces of equipment, but rather tend to general comments. I can thus at least appear to be objective. [Were some manufacturer to offer me an obscenely large sum of money to "adjust" my persuasion, this stance might be modified.]

Algorithms Modification

There are ways to modify algorithms, diving or otherwise. One method is to take an old one and add on some modifications in an ad hoc fashion. Another is to design it from the ground up, a so-called ab initio approach.

Ascent Rates

An example might be found in ascent rates. A complete model will allow for the expansion of microbubbles with ascent (= reduction in pressure) in accordance with Boyle's Law. This increase in radius will result in a decrease in Laplace pressure (the internal pressure from surface tension effects) and essentially a trapping of gaseous nitrogen. A complete model will account for this (sometimes referred to as a "full up" model) and halt the ascent. A modified algorithm would simple insert stops for a couple of minutes every ten or twenty feet. The effect is the same with respect to prevention of DCS, although the latter procedure is not as "elegant" in mathematical terms.

Deep Dives and Multiday Dives

I am a believer in micronuclei generation by musculoskeletal activity as contrasted with regeneration of nuclei by time-dependent inanimate forces. This regeneration is one of the hallmarks of the RGBM; may studies at NASA do not accord with this in all aspects. How much of a difference this divergence in theory makes for diving, I do not know. It certainly results in a safe table, although it is possibly overly conservative in some dive situations.

While never having tested either algorithm, I can not give any personal evaluation. In many regards, it appears to come down to price and features of the meter that best suit the diver.

Dr Deco :doctor:

emeraldvideo once bubbled...
I have just read your article on RGBM algorithms. <snip>:scuba:

Which article is that? Can I have a link, please?

R..

Hello!

Could you write down where is RGBM? I have an VR3 and I can tell you that it easy a very good computer! Awesome! A little bit expensive...
I didn't know about RGBM, but I would like to read about it!

Tks a lot!

Dear DarknessLord:

Reduced Gradient Bubble Model

A sort time ago, Dr Wienke posted a piece entitled "Technical RGBM. " This provides a short introduction to the model, and it can be found at http://www.doctordeco.com

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom