For Sale VR3 Spectrum Dive Compuer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAJeff750

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was included in a “toy box” I bought. It is a pretty cool early tec computer. Can be used for recreational diving as well. Mixed and multi gas. Great condition, beautiful screen, honestly one of the nicest I have seen. Fresh battery. $120 shipped continental US.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8959.jpeg
    IMG_8959.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8958.jpeg
    IMG_8958.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 64
For a trimix dive computer, this is a good deal, particularly for someone starting out. I have one I keep in case one my my Shearwaters dies. Worth pointing out a few things:

- Unless I've missed something (I have an earlier version), it only does VPM. VPM kept me from getting bent for some time but Buhlman is better. Use decent dive planning software to see the differences and set conservatism on a VR3 to achieve a reasonable match on a dive by dive basis and things will be OK, most likely. This is my opinion, worth what you paid for it. Make sure your instructor will accept it if you're in training.

- Battery life is not great. Carry a couple of spares and O-rings, and pay attention to state of charge. I used to use about 3 SAFTs per season, sometimes more.

- It's an orphan. No repairs, no support, no parts. The buttons can be broken if you aren't careful. I probably still have a couple of spares and at least one can be had for postage. I mean, mine is still the backup to my backup, so I need at least one spare button. Mine has been rock solid since new.

- Make sure you get all the unlock codes to be able to use the functions you need. Keep them somewhere safe. Keep them in 3 places that are safe, because when they're lost, they're lost.

- Some people find it complicated to use. I think that once you go through the drill a few times it's not really that bad. I think that for its time it got a lot of unjustified bad press. YMMV.

- I added a 1/8" bungee in case the strap came loose. Cheap insurance but the strap never did come loose.

All that said, if I needed a trimix computer and didn't have one, I'd buy it at the asking price. It would tide me over at the fraction of the cost of a Shearwater until I could afford one, and then it's still a decent backup.

I hope both the seller and prospective buyers find this helpful.

For a trimix dive computer, this is a good deal, particularly for someone starting out. I have one I keep in case one my my Shearwaters dies. Worth pointing out a few things:

- Unless I've missed something (I have an earlier version), it only does VPM. VPM kept me from getting bent for some time but Buhlman is better. Use decent dive planning software to see the differences and set conservatism on a VR3 to achieve a reasonable match on a dive by dive basis and things will be OK, most likely. This is my opinion, worth what you paid for it. Make sure your instructor will accept it if you're in training.

- Battery life is not great. Carry a couple of spares and O-rings, and pay attention to state of charge. I used to use about 3 SAFTs per season, sometimes more.

- It's an orphan. No repairs, no support, no parts. The buttons can be broken if you aren't careful. I probably still have a couple of spares and at least one can be had for postage. I mean, mine is still the backup to my backup, so I need at least one spare button. Mine has been rock solid since new.

- Make sure you get all the unlock codes to be able to use the functions you need. Keep them somewhere safe. Keep them in 3 places that are safe, because when they're lost, they're lost.

- Some people find it complicated to use. I think that once you go through the drill a few times it's not really that bad. I think that for its time it got a lot of unjustified bad press. YMMV.

- I added a 1/8" bungee in case the strap came loose. Cheap insurance but the strap never did come loose.

All that said, if I needed a trimix computer and didn't have one, I'd buy it at the asking price. It would tide me over at the fraction of the cost of a Shearwater until I could afford one, and then it's still a decent backup.

I hope both the seller and prospective buyers find this helpful.
That’s amazing. I really appreciate the info. I had heard it was good, but I didn’t know all that.
I am open to reasonable offers too.

Is it unlocked for CCR thanks

Fresh battery x1. I’m at work now. I’ll look through the manual to see what I can figure out about being unlocked. I do not have any codes though.

Every once in a while, my VR3 would lose its lunch, usually or perhaps always when the battery died in storage. To unlock its functions I would have to re-enter all the PINs. There is no way to display them, so if they're lost and the computer forgets them, you now have an air/nitrox computer. Due diligence can prevent this with scheduled battery changes, but the risk is the buyer's.

I have mine on a laminated sheet in my dive bag, a backup in a dive spares crate, and softcopy on my laptop and phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom