For Sale VR3 Spectrum Dive Compuer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found an email for Frank, I could not find him on ScubaBoard though. I am going to email him. I did come across an old eBay listing that referenced him and pins - I could find a date - but it referenced pins being 70 euros, which is about $78 USD - that is less than I expected. I will post what I find out, but that opens up the possibility of making this do whatever is desired.

That is great news. Your asking price + $78 is still a good deal for a solid trimix computer. Unless it's $78 per PIN and you need a bunch of them. For mine there are five:

C4 (Open and closed circuit Air, Nitrox, Trimix)
C9 (External O2 Sensor Active)
C11 (I/O Port Active)
HDCOL (Color Display)
V2 (VGM Algorithm Feature Activation)

<snip>

Of note, this VR3 is for sale significantly cheaper than any Shearwater though. I’m thinking it would be good as a back up, I don’t think anybody would run this as their primary.

In conjunction decent dive planning software for Trimix (such as MultiDeco in Buhlmann mode) and appropriate conservatism adjustments to more or less match the software's schedule, with a backup air computer (acting as a bottom timer) and a laminated set of tables for Buhlmann, *I* would run a VR3 as primary if I could not afford better. The entry cost for tech diving is really steep, and the VR3 would still be an OK backup after I could afford a Shearwater later on...in which capacity it served for a few years before getting a 2nd Shearwater.

I did both my normoxic and hypoxic Trimix training that way. A number of people have observed that the difference between VPM with conservatism at +1 or +2 and Buhlmann with reasonable GFs is just not that big. But play with the settings and decent Buhlman software to find a reasonable match on a per-dive basis. It's all an approximation anyway, in truth. No guarantees, of course, but the probability of a big problem if you approach it that way seem small to me.

Note that an instructor or deco theory expert, I am not. This is my opinion. Anecdotes aren't data, but I have no bends to report from using my VR3 that way. It's clunky, outdated, doesn't support the current algorithm of choice...but it's still a solid mix computer used in an informed way in my opinion. Just be aware of its limitations.

He’s a straight fella is Frank, still take my borris to him for servicing.
Ok. I heard back from Frank. They can generate pins depending on serial and software version. I will check with serial and software version to make sure. Pins are only $39 each now!

Ok. This is the update from Frank. These are the available pins. This computer is the 3rd one listed on the bottom with V3.03aC, so it can do everything except VGM and color screen upgrade. See pics.

Attachments

• Resized_20240821_094441.jpeg
    Resized_20240821_094441.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 39
I am waiting to hear back from Frank what the process is to install pins.

I heard back from Frank. They generate the pin, then you enter it on the pin screen. So, any of the options from this list would be about $39 USD to unlock the functionality. He also confirmed that currently it is unlocked for Trimix and PC link. I do not have the computer cable for that though.
$150? I am open to offers though.

Attachments

• IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 19
I heard back from Frank. They generate the pin, then you enter it on the pin screen. So, any of the options from this list would be about $39 USD to unlock the functionality. He also confirmed that currently it is unlocked for Trimix and PC link. I do not have the computer cable for that though.
$150? I am open to offers though.

IMO you're offering a nice deal for a full-function trimix computer. You can't even get a mix fill for what you're asking! Hope it finds a good home and serves its owner as well as mine served me.

Back
Top Bottom