VR3 Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverryan

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone shoot me a post on their experiences with the new VR3 computer using the VPN - B/E algorithms? Thanks.

good luck finding any VR3 reviews... I am searching for some reviews on it also before I make a purchase. That is a lot of money to spend without much information on it. The features are really nice and it looks like it can do about anything you could ever want a dive computer do but I would like to hear from some people that have dove with it.

I recently purchased a VR3 with VPM. It's been on a few dives with me, mostly recreational, so I havent had much chance to test it's capacities. Most of the dives I've done so far with it have also had a Dive Rite DUO along for the ride.

I can tell you that the VR3 gives you much more credit for stops and slow ascents than the DUO as well as a much longer no stop time.

I'm still getting used to it so I don't have a hard take on it yet, but so far I'm happy with it.

I have been using the VR3 (without the new VPM algorithm) for about a month and a half (8 dives) and I have only found a couple shortcomings. I can give a short review regarding the VR3 in a pros/cons format.

Pros:
1) built like a tank
2) upgradeability – you wont have to purchase another computer
3) instant software upgradeability from OC Nitrox to SCR/CCR Nitrox, OC Trimix, SCR/CCR Trimix by adding a pin number. So, when you are ready for Trimix or SCR/CCR all you have to do is purchase the upgrade and you will receive a code to enter into your VR-3 and you are ready to go (you don’t have to send it in for the upgrade). Other options like big text and e-books / games don’t require the VR3 to be sent in either.
4) user changeable batteries (standard AA)
5) 10 gas computer with ability to combine into profiles for frequently used gas combos
6) will analyze nitrox blends with optional gas analyzer attachment. VR3 will analyze the gas and add it to your gas list automatically (saves money if you were going to by a nitrox analyzer ($250-$350)
7) Dive planning feature for on-the-fly deco dive planning
8) The Cadillac of dive computers. Probably the most trusted dive computer on the market (this is my guess and general impression of the tech diving community)

Cons:
1) Cost – but you get what you pay for
2) If you wanted to upgrade something like the screen from monochrome to color, you would have to send it to the UK (3-4 weeks turnaround time)

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Carl the Cat

Thanks for the posts!!! I feel a lot more comfortable making a purchase like this knowing that other divers have used it and there are only few complaints other than being very complex to learn the features. (I guess it is complex the computer seems to be able to do everything any diver could ever ask it to do and then some) I think I will get my own and test it out for myself.

carlthecat:
Cons:

2) If you wanted to upgrade something like the screen from monochrome to color, you would have to send it to the UK (3-4 weeks turnaround time)

How is this a con? Can you name another dive computer that you can send in and have a color screen added? That said, I've yet to see the need for a color screen.

The biggest 'con' to me would be size. It's a big one.

I love my VR3 - functions as another back-up light on cave dives. :)

Jason B:
How is this a con? Can you name another dive computer that you can send in and have a color screen added? That said, I've yet to see the need for a color screen.

The con was sending the unit to the UK for hardware upgrades instead of somewhere like Milwaukee. It is going to take more time / money to ship to Europe instead of the continental United States. Most likely they are going to ship it back the cheapest way which again will take more time or more of your money to expedite it. That is all.

BTW: I was told by a couple people who upgraded to the color screen that it wasn’t worth the expense and it was harder to read than the monochrome. However, I reserve the right to change my mind since I have not seen one in person.

carlthecat:
The con was sending the unit to the UK for hardware upgrades instead of somewhere like Milwaukee. It is going to take more time / money to ship to Europe instead of the continental United States. Most likely they are going to ship it back the cheapest way which again will take more time or more of your money to expedite it. That is all.

BTW: I was told by a couple people who upgraded to the color screen that it wasn’t worth the expense and it was harder to read than the monochrome. However, I reserve the right to change my mind since I have not seen one in person.

I have both screens and like the color screen better. I leave the light on UW and is easy to read. No issues with a battery after over one week of diving with the light on. I've had VR3's for several years. It is a great piece of gear. I've had no problems with them. I mainly use mine for CCR diving, which is why I bought one in the first place. In my opinion it's the best thing going-----for now.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom