Vortoberfest 2007 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not see either of these dudes there.:rofl3:
Who would do such a thing?

I have a handwriting match but I ain't saying.

By the way, I had a great time. It was nice meeting people I had not yet met. I have to post a special thanks to SuPrBuGmAn for being a great dive buddy. Thanks to Shane and his wife for joining in the fun and for the hospitality.

I think this is all the pictures I have. See everyone next year. I can't wait.

Ron and Dirk were hanging out in BugMan's tent...I think they were the one's snoring so loudly!:mooner: I know they weren't in mine! :rofl3:

Jaeger...the beverage of champions!
Carolyn:sharks:

No pictures, didn't happen, didn't do it and you can't prove it!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
:D
The Lovely Young Kat (Scuba Mom) and I had a great time. Thank you all for coming and contributing to the fun :)
Rick
I bet Scuba Mom would talk on that one Uncle Ricky. :D

I JUST GOT HOME! DANG THAT'S A LONG DRIVE!!!!

Had a GREAT GREAT time everybody! I do recall almost all of last night...kinda. :DWas great to close my day with a dive at Vortex. Kristal and I were the last to leave so we had the spring to ourselves! OH IT WAS MY 50th DIVE! The cavern was clear and the basin wasn't too bad, we got to feed the eels...easy cheese...that is so cool! BugMan, thanks for the trip to Cypress, what a surprise treat! Krak, I am game for another try at Palm City...but dang, we need a better captain...Lord all I can say is thank goodness we didn't get too far away from the boat!:11: Rick, the brats were awesome! I had so much fun with everyone, I can't thank y'all enough for making me feel so welcome! Kristal, girl, you ROCK! Shane, thanks for making our stay so inviting. You and your staff were a lot of fun! I will definitely be spreading the word and get some more business down your way!

I CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!:10:

HAPPY DIVING EVERYWHERE!

:popcorn:Oh I know the pics will get better! Funniest quote of the night..."drunk people are stupid!" :rofl3: (BIG HUGS Tiffany and Matt! You were so funny! THANKS SO MUCH FOR BREAKFAST!) Hey did someone try to light a bonfire somewhere? I think that is a detail I kind of recall. I vaguely remember smores! I do remember a ride on the back of a truck. LOL!:wink: Jaeger is B.. A.. D.. BAD!:drunks:
Congrats on dive #50. Another person there crossed a milestone after completing her 800th dive. Congrats to May MAy or Msquared, i was happy I got to be there for the occasion.:D

OK...The DRAMA OF THE PANAMA CITY DIVE!

"WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG" THE CURSE!:ne_nau:

All started out well, we all left on time and got to the dive shop (The Dive Locker?) at our appointed time. We waited around for a bit, got waivers signed and were waiting for our captain. We had reserved a six pack (my first experience on one) and were planning on diving the Twin Tugs. Reports coming in were waves about 2-4' with better visibility offshore. Well, no captain, no boat, found out about 45 mins later that the boat had some engine trouble. So, now what do we do? The shop called around for other boats and they tried to accomadate us on their already full cattle boat...no thank you! So, after some more waiting, Todd found us a boat. The captain's name was FRANK (formerly Rick..I am such a dweeb!) and he was actually in the process of selling his boat. So ok, we are going out. Y'know...sometimes it's better to listen to the signs that SCUBAGODS give us. FRANK, after about 30mins came into the shop and told us to meet him over at St Andrew's park. So we got there, pulled out all the gear and were ready. About an hour later he got there with the boat (long lines at the pumps I guess). So off we went...me at the front where I wouldn't be as likely to get sick, but could easily see my impending doom. After about a good hour of being beaten silly by waves, we got to the site where another boat was anchored. Once we stopped, the boat was rolling badly in 4' plus waves. He had a wee little ladder for us to come up on and I was very unsure of being able to get back on the boat safely. I was unsure that I would be even able to get my gear on without rolling off the boat it was so rough out there. So, a vote was taken and we opted to go back closer to shore. Bad thing was, it was rough going out, it was going to be hell going back in! So after about another butt beating hour ride, we made it to the site called the HOVER CRAFT. Ok, cool, we anchored in (or so we thought) and got set up. The waves were much calmer, and thank the Lord, all my drugs were working for a change and I was doing ok. Krak went in first, followed by AuTgrDvr then myself, and Krak's dive buddy. Ok, I rolled in off the side and everyone else strided off the back. As soon as I started my descent, I realized that I couldn't see ANYTHING and at 10' I couldn't even see the boat. I tried to swim around to the bow to find the anchor line, no luck. So I continued my sweep and hoped to be back on the stern and continued my descent hoping to find bubbles. Thank goodness I found Kristal's bubbles. I basically had her stick tight with me since the only thing we could see was the bottom when we were on it. I had no reference to even shoot a bearing! Vis was at best 10' with a ton of particulate in the water. I decided to work us back up current and hoped to come across the wreck. NOTHING, just sand, some starfish, and gobies. I then found a trough in the sand, hmmm was that caused by our anchor? Oh goodness, this was not good. So, we swam around for a bit, hoping to still find the Hover Craft. At about 1100PSI I decided to thumb the dive, I was very uneasy about the whole dive and was worried that we were going to be way off track and out of sight of the boat. We tried to ascend together, but Kristal was having some trouble and in the last minute of our stop we got a separated. I ascended and was about 100' from the boat. Kristal popped up about 50' from me. I started my swim to the boat and blew my whistle to get Kristal's attention. Thank God that was over. We got in the boat and basically were surprised the Captain was completely unaware that the boat had been drifting the whole time. Krak and Mindy (I hope that is the right name) were still below since they were diving steel tanks with alot more air. They finally surfaced at the bow of boat quite a ways off and had been following the anchor that was dragging across the bottom. Thank Goodness YellowAngelFish wasn't feeling well and she was the spotter for us out there. I doubt our Captain would have seen us without her! So, that was a bust! It was getting late so we scrubbed the 2nd dive and headed back in. What a dissapointment. Well...the saga CONTINUES!:sos:

We were in the harbor, minding our own business and low and behold, the harbor police pulls us over.:cop_2: He of course is looking to see that our boat has all the necessary equipment and that we were not fishing illegally (I guess). I thought all was going well, until Frank couldn't show that we had enough lifejackets for everyone, no whistle in his safety kit and no registration on board. Wow, I am amazed we came back alive! So the POLICE followed us back to our dropoff point and we offloaded and our Captain left to pay the fines that were ensuing! :jail:

OK, back to dry land, and happier thoughts of cold beer and brats! :coke:

Well...hmmm...we were on the road 5 mins getting out of the park when the park POLICE stops us!:cop_2: Krak was going a little too fast in the park....:auto:y'know, the COP didn't realize that we were on a serious VORTOBERFEST mission! We had to get back!. Well...I do have to say that Krak and his wife are very entertaining getting out of a ticket! Oh and not having proof of insurance was funny too! So...back on the road we go with a WARNING! We head back to the shop, drop off the rented tanks and basically gave the report to the shop of the bad experience that we had. Ok, off to the FEST! So, we are about 15 mins or so down the road when the shop calls and tells us that Krak's wife's visa is back at the shop! Good grief! So we head back and were all in agreement that we need to stop and pick up a 6 pack...well we opted against that since we didn't want to get pulled over and then go to jail! :jail: We had pushed the luck with the SCUBAGODS too far already today! So me and Kristal decided to get a snooze in and just dream of the ensuing evening of festivities! :drunks: Well at least we made it back in one piece, everyone was safe and no one got terribly sick! It was definitely a good practice of buddy skills, keeping your wits, and navigating or at least attempting to navigate:shakehead:! At least we made it back in time to get good food, have lots of fun, drink away the drama and most of all ......
CHICKEN DANCE!:chicken:

Can't wait till next year KRAK!

Happy diving in clearer water!

I did not need that picture in my head.:rofl3: Thanks a lot LIVES4SHARKS.:11doh:

Your WELCOME! :D ANYTIME!

OH, and a preface to Lives4Shark's account . . .

I should have known things were going to be screwy . . . bad Karma, bad Ju-Ju or whatever . . .

I take my tanks to the dive shop Sunday, Oct 14th to be filled. The shop manager tells me the compressor is down but it will be up and running Monday. OK, no problem. So, just for kicks and giggles, I call the shop Wednesday the 17th and ask about my tanks; "Oh, yeah, we're filling them right now!" Great ! ! !

My plan is to pick my tanks up Friday morning at 1100. I'm running a bit behind so I don't get to the shop until 1130. I walk in, the manager walks out of her office looking like a convicted serial killer on his way to the electric chair. She proceeds to tell me that they "assumed" my tanks were being filled. So 1-1/2 hours later I leave the shop with my tanks (kudos to the shop, they comped the fills).

So, now I'm 2 hours behind my scheduled departure time.

The ride down to Vortex is without incident and quite nice.

I pull into Vortex and drive into my RESERVED campsite (#1) which I had reserved 1 year ago to date, and had confirmed the reservation a little less than 2 weeks before Vortoberfest, and, Lo and Behold ! ! ! there are 3 stinking tents in my RESERVED campsite.

I am not happy.

Walk into the store, meet Shane, we introduce ourselves, and then I state, without the least bit of effort to mask my dissatisfaction, "We got a problem!"

A great "hats off" to Shane for coming through with a more than acceptable solution.

So, that's how it all started . . .

OH, and I almost forgot . . . . . . . our stinking air mattress developed a leak.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom